Florida

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To all of those that think Florida is the armpit of the Nation, we send you a warm X-mas greeting from all of us, from the deck of our boats in shorts and T-shirts or no shirts. The only thing cold here might be the brew in my hand. The wind is good, life is good. Merry Christmas and hope you can keep your sense of humor in the brrrr, frozen 47.

Nov 18, 2013
Oday 32 Ketch North Fort Myers, FL
That is hitting below the belt but you are absolutely right. I'm substantially farther south than you and My biggest concern is the mosquito bites I get at sunrise and sunset. Being raised in the snow belt gives me perspective on the climate we enjoy so thoroughly! Merry Christmas to all and I wish you fairwinds.

Highest Regards, Darrell

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Although we don't live in Sarasota, the boat does and I'm told Mosquitos are not allowed here by municipal ordinance confirmed by the tourist bureau.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Benny, that is just mean! Temp finally got upto 41 here in Virginia after falling to 18 last night.... Just MEAN! Could you pass me a beer?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Welcome to Florida,

now please Go Home! ;)

Actually this is the best time of year. from nov - jan, and Feb - april.

Please come on down, and bring lots of $!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
It is 4pm EST and 84. We expect a cold day next week with a high of only 72 brrrrr. I'm originally from the midwest and don't miss it one bit.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Very Bad

Florida is too dam Hot and the bugs eat you live and even small dogs and small kids disappear at night from the hungry Gator's and summer you will roast.
So stay up north it's getting too dam crowded already so just send your $$$$
and stay in the cold and ice and snow.
I will never live up north again just visit my family and torture them when they are freezing and shoveling snow.
The truth is it's great and like as if I went to heaven and now live in paradise for sure and really enjoy living and sailing in Florida and yes it is not perfect but
when out sailing and see people sliding around in the snow O Boy we love it here.
The landscaper just came by to cut the lawn and trim and spray the bushes and more sailing for me.
Nick

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
41 for a high? 18 for a low? HA! That's nothing.... here in MN today it didn't get above 0F.... Yeah everything water is froze solid now.... ice shacks are even popping up on the lakes. Yeah, that is nuts, never understood ice fishing.... Though you folks in FL have a bit more heat and humidity than us in the summer time... that's when you want to come up north.... So I guess it all evens out. ;)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty chilly here in South Louisiana too.. Was 24F here Thanksgiving morning but 84 F three days later.. This week has been too cool and wet for sailing.. but this abnormal cold should clear out soon. Not freezing at night, but right at it! Don, I think the mosquitoes that your civic association ran off have taken up residence here !

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Guess it's what a person is used to Don, I've been in quakes, you just don't let anything fall on you. Now, a big wind that comes out of the sky and sucks you and your house off the earth, that scares me.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
A marathon run of the fireplace has kept the house in the low 60's for three days, with nighttime lows getting below freezing. Debating about whether to fire up my furnace. $$

Awesome meteor lit up the sky last evening over at least 4 states. I happened to be outside for it.
http://www.kvoa.com/news/meteorite-hunter-nasa-scientists-scour-tucson-for-fragments/

Go Geminids!

This morning, the local coyotes were lounging in the sun in a clearing to the West of me. I was able to sneak up on them to about 200 yards distant. Wiley.

To the OP- Armpits are supposed to be warm and damp, yes? :D

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Guess it's what a person is used to Don, I've been in quakes, you just don't let anything fall on you. Now, a big wind that comes out of the sky and sucks you and your house off the earth, that scares me.
I think we're both right!

I'd prefer neither but I don't want to move to Brisbane. They talk funny there.

Anyplace where I can see palm trees out my windows and the water is always warm and clear so I can check the anchor is good.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Hear in Calgary Alberta it got to minus 30 degrees C brrrrr
Got to get to my boat in the Gulf Islands heat wave at 4 C which is 38 F

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Nick, tell Mary to get the sheets on the spare bed. We will be there in two days and plan to spend three months. OH btw, gas up the boat..we are going sailing....

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
Coldest weather in 5 years. I wanna go to Florida!!! :cry:

To all of those that think Florida is the armpit of the Nation, we send you a warm X-mas greeting from all of us, from the deck of our boats in shorts and T-shirts or no shirts. The only thing cold here might be the brew in my hand. The wind is good, life is good. Merry Christmas and hope you can keep your sense of humor in the brrrr, frozen 47.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I loved Florida! The year-round sailing was wonderful! Of course, Maui isn't bad, either. (What's a wind-chill?) Now if I could only get myself a boat here......

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Anybody can live in easy places like FL or CA. Here in OK we get it all. Subzero winters, triple digit summers, tornados, drought, floods, and in recent years, earthquakes.