Florida Spring 2011 Trip.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I finally finished about the first month of our Spring 2011 trip to the west coast of Florida and on to the keys. The report at this point covers from putting in off of Charlotte Harbor down to Everglades City. If I continue it will finish off with down to the middle keys and then up to south of Miami.

The trip index is here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/Florida-2011-Spring-index.html

and a page on if I should continue the report here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-14.html

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on that page. These reports can amount to a lot of time and I'm just wondering if they are worth it.

Thanks,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
Howdy Sum,
I have read just about every post of your trips, and have been to some of the same area's in FL while boating the along the ICW. I am new to sailing, and starting classes soon. I am not new to boating, or long distance venturing (2 wheels).
I like how your pages are set up, and really like the info on how you set up the boat, or make changes/repairs depending on conditions. I think the pic's are great!! (worth a thousand words??).
I really like the mod section and how you accomplish certain tasks...you are a very skilled craftsman.
I admire both your's and Ruth's spirit of adventure.
If your ever in SC waters and need something, you have a friend here.
Rich

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Sumner,
Thanks for posting your extensive information on that section of SW Florida. My wife and I sailed many of those same areas over the past 4 winters, and your fine illustrations and photos brought back some very fond memories.

Running aground is the official welcome to the area that everyone gets sooner or later.

I'm sure your trip index is time-consuming, but, as we often say about efforts like that, it will give you something to talk about in the old folks' home!
Phil

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Sumner,
I enjoy reading your logs. I would not suggest you change anything in the way you approach them - unless you want to. It is your log after all and you should include what you want to.
I'll just have to save reading some of them for when our real winter weather gets here in the north east.
I read a mystery novel by Carl Hiaasen called "Nature Girl" recently that was based in the area of Everglades City. The Rod and Gun club is even in the novel. I don't know if you like reading novels or if you would like this author's point of view but I am mentioning it anyway.
My vote: keep 'em coming.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
winter reading

I read a mystery novel by Carl Hiaasen called "Nature Girl" recently that was based in the area of Everglades City. The Rod and Gun club is even in the novel. I don't know if you like reading novels or if you would like this author's point of view but I am mentioning it anyway.
Randy Wayne White and John W Hall also write entertaining fiction about the keys/everglades/10,000 islands in case the winter gets long.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Keep 'em coming. In addition to what's been said, I really appreciate the simplicity of the layout and the ease of getting around. I can't begin to even count the number of websites and blogs that require constant clicking and hard, if not impossible to read pages. Good work.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
yeah man

hey, keep it up! Really love it, was burried in your story and had a hard time talking to my gf. So, i had to back out but will return and ingest it all, thanks. Good stuff, glad Ruth's rash went away! Pat

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on that page. These reports can amount to a lot of time and I'm just wondering if they are worth it.

Thanks,

Sumner

Sum....... I don't think it's your nature to do something half-ass. The detail you include in your reports is what makes them stand out... and probably what I enjoy most about them.

It's been fun following your and Ruth's evolution from desert lakes to the Florida Keys.

Jun 20, 2011
Catalina Sloop Heron lake
Sum,
I just read almost all of your journey. Great job and enjoyed it very much. Thank you for all the work you put into it and posting it. As you know we will be heading to the keys from Santa Fe next winter and found you post very helpful.
Blessings .. Ross Sailor boy

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Sumner:

Very nice work on the trip logs. The photos were very impressive. Keep up the good work and best of luck with the Endeavour.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Sum,

You had a wonderful trip and very nice of you to post so much for people to read. The picture and SeaClear are fantastic !

I had an exact same M26S before. We used to go to Georgian Bay and the North Channel in Ontario Canada for many years. There is even a MacGregor regatta there. I heard of a MacGregor Bay but not sure if that was named after the boats.

Sail On.

Mar 5, 2011
Seafarer 31 Yawl Tall Rig Melbourne, Florida
Thanks for all your info, has been helpful to help me plan a similar trip from the east coast of Florida to the Dry Tartoguas and back

May 21, 2011
Lancer 28 T MK5 Naples Fl
Just read about your Spring 2011 trip. Photos are very entertaining. Sea Clear charts and Google images very informative. I have a Lancer 28 that I have been fixing up and is almost ready to go. She is just off the Gordon River in Naples so the waters you described are those where I'll be sailing. Can't wait to explore the 10,000 islands. Who knows? Maybe I'll see you "out there."

Looking forward to reading about some of your other adventures. Great stuff! Don't stop writing!

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
Great work!

I read every post and every page you write. You are helping Me become a better sailor and providing valuable knowledge for anyone who reads it. Thank you so much!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hi

When are you coming down,I have not gone down to the boat since returning from NY and been working around the house with this weather here but warming up this weekend and maybe my first attempt at Kayaking since surgery on my shoulder.
I decided one more month getting her ready to bottom paint so see you when you come on down,great trip report.
Nick

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Thanks guys for the kind words. I really feel bad about not finishing the trip report yet. I have all the pictures and charts posted, but not the story yet. If someone is going from Everglades City down to Marathon and then north up the keys and would like the charts and anchorages we used let me know and I'll PM you a link to that stuff. When I finally finish the dialog I'll also post the rest of the trip.

Nick we had hoped to be down the first of Feb., but some health items need to be looked after first. Hopefully we are still down there in Feb.. We are glad to hear the shoulder is doing better. Don't over-do. Also we are sewing the sail-pack up now and are using the measurements you took for us. Thanks again,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.