Florida move contemplated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
The admiral and I are considering permanently relocating our Hunter 426 to Marathon, Florida in the Fall of 2012. My inquiries have eliminated what I erroneously thought were going to be impediments; questions of insurance, taxes, dock fees, etc. So....the proposed move has gone from the investigative stage to the very possible, maybe even very likely, stage. The concern now is for the period of lay-up during the hurricane season, during which time I will return to my home in NJ. I realize that this decision is a very individual one that many would initially jump into making, consequences be damned. However, I am still concerned. Anyone who has been to the keys can just imagine what damage a hurricane with a 20 foot surge would do to the environment. This was illustrated by the terrible storm which hit in the 1930's. A common response, though somewhat over-simplistic and maybe even a bit irresponsible, is "that's why you have insurance". Maybe I'm just looking for verification favoring my decision, but I am interested in what the members thoughts are, aside from the standard "move my boat to paradise? Absolutely!"

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Actually excluding hurricanes, summer in the keys is nice. Breezes and not so hot as inland. Fewer tourists, clearer water. If you were there, you could move or haul your boat if threatened. Spend your spring in Delaware, go to marathon to avoid the summer doldrums.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Keys

My father-in-law has lived in the Keys for over 20 years - just north of Marathon. He says that he has never had a hurricane hit near him - a few close calls maybe but no full blown storms over Marathon. Of course, the odds are against him but check the weather records.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Many marinas in Florida are tying the boats down while they are stored on jackstands. In many places, the soil is sandy, and screw-in anchors have been used with some success. I'd Google marinas in the Marathon area and check on hurricane storage. Some marinas make up a priority list of customers that wish to be hauled in the event of a hurricane. They can haul the boat even if you are not there. Boat U.S. insurance will pay half the cost of hauling the boat if a named storm threatens. They will also pay a captain to move a boat if you cannot. A lot of boatowners will find "hurricane holes" where they can safely tie up the boat. A creek with lots of mangroves to tie up to is considered very good. Oh, go ahead, make the move. You'll love it!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Interesting choice of locations I think. Started going there as a kid and then at Key West in the Navy. Then I had a chance to spend four days at the yacht club while waiting for weather. I rented a bike and rode the key and loved it. But settle there? Not sure. My storm plan would be to take the boat and run north. Areas around and north of Tampa have never seen a hurricane. You have to leave anyway. Never would I put the boat up. Proper storm anchoring would give you way better odds.

Oct 19, 2009
Hunter 41 St. Petersburg
I kept my boat in Key West for 3 years

I own a Hunter 41 and also have my permanent residence in NJ. Key West was great (2003-06), but got very expensive, and difficult to get to, at least 2 flights, or one flight to SE Florida and then a 3.5 hour drive from there. Marathon would be more like 1.5 hours driving time from FLL or MIA. I now keep my boat in St. Petersburg, FL where I have endless destinations around Tampa Bay and the Gulf, and one easy non-stop flight from the NY area airports. While in Key West, we survived 4 hurricanes. The worst that happened was a storm surge that reached the dockbox and damaged the docks, but no damage to my boat. I would arrange with the marina and local acquaintances to do whatever was necessary when a bad storm was predicted. Spent lots of hours in front of the computer back home tracking storms. My insurance policy had a 4% deductible (I think) for named storms, so you are not completely protected, but I was fortunate. I agree with a previous post that your insurance company may partially reimburse you for hauling the boat if needed, so that should provide some peace of mind too.

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
Re: Marathon

Pat, We were at Marathon for about three days, on the way to Panama City Florida, did not want to leave! I know that does not answer your question, but I guess there always exspoure were ever we go, some more then others, I personally would go and stay.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Re: Marathon

Thanks to all for the input. The idea to move came about from several sources. We made the trip from Barnegat to Marathon in 2003-2004 on a smaller boat with hopes of crossing to the Bahamas. The weather that year was not favorable for our time-line and we never made it to the Bahamas. Unfortunately, I kept hoping to cross and missed a great opportunity to cruise FL west coast. Another factor is that I would rather spend the winter in FL then the summers in the Chesapeake - which have been very oppressive. The Keys are very enticing; so is the west coast (maybe even more so) especially around St. Petersburg, Sarasota area.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Life is short and I cannot take the boat with me. The majority of the time the weather is good and for those times when it may not not be that is why we carry insurance. I believe in using the boat and using it where I can get the best enjoyment out of it. Weather considerations become secondary to my primary premise. Of course I keep an eye on the weather and will do anything within reason to protect the boat but I have and will continue to keep it here.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Thanks to all for the input. The idea to move came about from several sources. We made the trip from Barnegat to Marathon in 2003-2004 on a smaller boat with hopes of crossing to the Bahamas. The weather that year was not favorable for our time-line and we never made it to the Bahamas. Unfortunately, I kept hoping to cross and missed a great opportunity to cruise FL west coast. Another factor is that I would rather spend the winter in FL then the summers in the Chesapeake - which have been very oppressive. The Keys are very enticing; so is the west coast (maybe even more so) especially around St. Petersburg, Sarasota area.

Sooooo ...
Nov thru April in Marathon ...
May thru Oct in St Pete/Sarasota

I'll be down to visit in Jan :)

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
Currently docked in Marathon.

Our first time here. In talking to our dockmates, they still talk about the surge impact from Wilma. One resort here, Faro Blanco, was wiped our and never rebuilt. Google Marathon, Hurricane Wilma for interesting information.

Status
Not open for further replies.