Florida boat owners. Any experience with Mack Sail?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Visited with Colin of Mack Sail here at the Annapolis boat show.
He talks a good talk.
Anyone have any experience with them?
How is the Sail they built working for you.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
At the recommendation of my rigger in Connecticut, I ordered a new main and a new head sail from Mack in 2015. The mainsail was for my new Schaefer furling boom and it was a special cut/design.
I looked at their website and researched the cloth they used and the assembly techniques. I felt they had a superior product.
The sails arrived on time and fit perfectly out of the box. Absolutely no problems.
Later I had them make a special design main sail cover on which they made an error on one measurement. They made it right very quickly.
My old sails were 16 years old. With the new Mack sails I picked up at least 1/4-1/2 knot in a 12 kt breeze, and I can now point up to 30-35 degrees apparent. My old sails would not point closer that 40 degrees.
I would use them again and I recommend them. They offer off-season discounts too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had a set of Mack sails on my MacGregor V222. The previous owner had them made and he used to race this boat. I always felt my Mac 22 was unusually fast. Also, my grandmother's maiden name was Mack so I thought it was really cool to have the Mack logo on my sails.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have heard good things about Mack sails and considered using them when I replaced my Genoa. Ultimately I went with Great Circle Sails, I felt they had a better design and the cost was a bit less.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had a set of Mack sails on my MacGregor V222. The previous owner had them made and he used to race this boat. I always felt my Mac 22 was unusually fast. Also, my grandmother's maiden name was Mack so I thought it was really cool to have the Mack logo on my sails.
I can give you a direct recommendation for Bacon Sails out of Annapolis. I have had a very great experience with them... I had a main sail and a genoa built by them....and I get to use "crispy" jokes with my new sails.... OVER AND OVER AND OVER again....:pimp:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I bought a main and jib for our Cal 27 but lost the boat in Charley. Still, have a like new main. I just bought this year, a new Jib for our Hunter. All the sails were of excellent quality. I picked Mack after visiting every sailmaker at the Miami boat show in 2003. Mack was the only sailmaker interested in answering my questions. They took as much time as I wanted. My wife, who sews was impressed with the stitching. The big name guys couldn't give me the time of day. When I need a new main, they will be who I call.

Oct 22, 2014
Colin was a very personable guy. Last day at the boat show and still willing to take the time and share what he thought made Mack Sails better than other choices. He said it was in the cloth and there knowledge at making sail in the US. While I am not in the market for a new Main. A jib or asymmetrical maybe in my future.
It is tough finding a sail maker your willing to trust your boats main power source to.
Thank you guys for sharing your experiences.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah, this is good to hear! They're semi-local, and I'll be needing a full set of sails for the Albin Vega in about a year. Keenly interested.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
All my sails are made by Mack (main, mizzen, genoa, staysail, yankee, reacher). The measurements weren't sent to some Asian factory. And they aren't some laminate that will come apart in a few years of real cruising. They're now five years old and the shape is as good as when new.

Oct 22, 2014
After getting a main this summer from North Sail I was impressed with the fact that most of the fitness issues start with careful measurement on the boat.

I asked for a quote: Cruising Main and 135 Genoa for a 36 Catalina standard height mast. About 5700 at the boat show. Was told this included what most other lofts charge extra for like full batten uppers and extra sail cloth and stitching on the leech. Luff Foam stitched on the Genoa. It was quite the package.

I will likely get a quote. If I was near their Florida loft I would definitely check them out. At least for my cruising style sailing.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I purchased a stay sail for my Island Packet 38 from Mack back in August, on the recommendations from many IP owners. They do a lot of IP's and had all the measurements needed on file. The time frame I was given for the sail to be made was met ( a rare occurrence in the boat business). The sail fit perfectly and the build quality was excellent. They make a very good product, at an affordable price. And the bonus is that its made in the US! I too had the chance to talk with Travis at the boat show and find out more about the other sails/products they make. Good down to earth people that are very knowledgeable in their craft, who aren't full of BS, and only interested in your money.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I just read through the Mack website info. What they say is very impressive and sounds sincere.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I ordered a new head sail from Mack back in 2015. Despite being 2700 miles away on the opposite coast. They were very good on the phone assisting me doing my measurements. And giving recommendations for a sail that would meet the demands of high wind central San Francisco Bay. Also to achieve a balance between performance = A sail whose foot would be somewhat low to the deck. But high enough for me to readily see underneath. Central San Francisco is a busy place on the weekends. A clear view forward from the helm is a must!

Their price wasn't on the bottom end of sail maker alternatives I was considering. But I perceived quality and service from Mack Sails. And their price was competitive.

The sail arrived exactly as ordered. Has performed wonderfully. This past weekend was the annual Blue Angels airshow over San Francisco Bay. Sailing with only the headsail with passengers affords better viewing (simply roll it up around the furler). Ease of sail management with many non-sailing friends on board is important. So no main sail. After the show, numerous boats head back to Sausalito on the same course. With only the head sail out, my 38 year old boat was catching up to or pulling away from most of them. Evidence that the Mack Sail jib is very OK.

The only downside of my experience has nothing to do with Mack Sails' quality or customer service. Which as above was great. In high winds, the upper leach of my new sail flutters a bit more than I think should be. Even with fore/aft adjustment to the jib-sheet car position; and fussing with the leach cord. If the sail maker was local, I would have asked for them to visit for a look-see. But my flutter wasn't/isn't serious enough to justify removing the sail from the furler, and then shipping it back all the way from California to Florida for evaluation. Probably only to find out that it's exactly as it should be.

Summary: All-in-all, yes I would do a repeat order with Mack Sails.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I didn’t buy a sail from Mack, but did buy a Mack Pack and lazy jacks.

I have found their customer service to be top notch. I had a tear in the cover at one of the eyelets after a year. They repaired it no charge and got it right back to me promptly.

Greg