Florida Anchoring (Senate Bill 1548 we need YOUR help)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
posted from our local sailing club email blast.

re: Senate Bill 1548

During our general meeting last night, we discussed the Senate Bill 1548 and its impact on anchoring. The specific clause is as follows:

An owner, operator, or person in charge of a vessel may not anchor or moor a vessel within 200 feet of the shoreline of developed waterfront property, as defined in s. 327.02, between the times of one hour past sunset and one hour before sunrise

Unless we take action, this bill will pass. It is already going to several Senate committees although a House version has not yet been initiated.

I strongly encourage you to contact your Senator and The Committee Chairpersons to voice your opinion.

Email is easy to do but as was pointed out last night one of the most effective ways is to flood their fax machines. Send your fax multiple times on multiple days.

To email your Senator or find out who he is, go to https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find

Below is a list of local Senators and the Chairpersons of the respective Committees involved. Also, attached is a copy of the letter I am sending out. Feel free to copy it or use it as a starting point for your own

Environmental Preservation The Chair is Charlie Dean however, its his bill. I suggest contacting committee member: Christopher Smith Fax 954-321-2707

Appropriations – General Government
Chair Alan Hays Fax 888-263-3677

Fiscal Policy
Chair Anitere Flores (Miami) Fax 305-270-6552

Our local Senators

Delray to Coastal Broward – District 34
Senator Maria Lorts Sachs fax 561-279-1429

Margate – District 29
Senator Jeremy Ring, FAX 954-917-1394

Ft. Lauderdale – District 31
Senator Christopher Smith fax 954-321-2707

Miami
Senator Oscar Braynon fax 305-654-7152

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Also, feel free to pass this on to any one who can help.

Sully

Questions or Not? Now is a good time to take action
To email your Senator or find out who he is, go to https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I tried to upload the word doc, but it was an invalid format...

here is the (sample) text for your senator.

================
RE: Senate Bill 1548 is unsafe.

I vehemently object to this bill on safety grounds.

This bill will remove over 80 to 90% of the safe anchorages in Broward, Miami-Dade

and almost the same amount in Palm Beach Counties leading to severely compromising

marine safety. An existing ban in Marathon in Monroe County has already made finding

safe anchorage or an open marina slip nearly impossible. It will also impact every other

Any one familiar with boat anchoring will recognize the safety implications of this bill,

which prevents anchoring within 200 feet of a developed area.

If you are unfamiliar with anchoring perhaps you can identify with getting seasick from

bouncing around all night anchoring in an unprotected area that this bill would require.

There is no way current marinas can handle the resulting volume of boats that would be

forced out of existing safe anchorages.

This will also have the economic effect of chasing away the hundreds of migrating boats

that come south annually for the winter and the millions of dollars they pour into the local

economies all along the coast as they progress southward.

If derelicts are the issue, they can be handled directly in a specific bill without

jeopardizing overall boating safety.

I sincerely hope you will help defeat this bill.

Sincerely yours,

M. F. Sullivan, P.E.

=================

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Although we don't have waterfront property, it appears disingenuous to argue no safe anchorage exists outside 200 ft.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
200' plus scope plus 200' in the other direction will close or severely limit many good anchorages. Take a look at the chart for Miami Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Manatee Pocket in Stuart. In the height of winter these places collectively hold 300 boats or more.

The Miami boat show kicks out all boats from 2 marinas. There is no place to go.

This is grossly excessive. Annapolis has a loosely enforced 75' setback. 200' is purely to chase people away.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
:confused: I don't think I understand the sentence...:confused:
I wasn't clear but intended to imply I don't have a 'dog in this fight'. As a boater who anchors in numerous places throughout both coasts, a 200ft exclusion zone seems reasonable to be.

I don't want to be that close to the resident fauna.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
I wasn't clear but intended to imply I don't have a 'dog in this fight'. As a boater who anchors in numerous places throughout both coasts, a 200ft exclusion zone seems reasonable to be.

I don't want to be that close to the resident fauna.
Understand...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Understand...
i don't boat in Florida but wonder how it will be measured. Is it the anchor location or the boat stern at the end of the line? 200 feet is only about 65 yards. In 10 feet of water and freeboard you want 70 feet of scope. Plus say a 30 foot boat you're only 100 feet from shore or 33 yards give or take. I can't imagine anchoring closer than that anyway.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The bottom line here is the people who own waterfront property (usually folks with money) don't want boats anchored in what they consider to be their back yards. You can be sure, as soon as a boat swings on anchor and is within 200 ft of the shore, the boat owner will be fined by the local municipality.

They want to stop itinerant boats.
The cities want the fine money.

It will greatly restrict anchoring.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
The bottom line here is the people who own waterfront property (usually folks with money) don't want boats anchored in what they consider to be their back yards.
That's human nature. My mother in law used to get so tweaked when people would bass fish by the shore line at their house. I myself have experienced the comments when fishing, there's a whole lake out, why you fishing by my place.....

I don't live in FL & know the anchor war has been an ongoing issue. Are the waters they're looking to restrict considered navigable waters?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We spent some time and money in Fl. last winter. Some anchorages are a little tight to shore but I never saw excessive noise etc. after sundown. I chatted with several municipal marina Dockmasters and understand there are plenty of issues. Maybe the vote will get amended. If not, then cruisers will just find another way to go.

NH doesn't have any real anchorage area on the coast so if your family didn't arrive with the Mayflower your choices are nill. Speaking of which, quit sending the Presidential hopefuls to our state, all the hot air is melting the snow. I always grit my teeth when someone mentions "The sap is running" cause I know they're not talking maple syrup.

Good luck Florida.

All U Get

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
We spent some time and money in Fl. last winter. Some anchorages are a little tight to shore but I never saw excessive noise etc. after sundown. I chatted with several municipal marina Dockmasters and understand there are plenty of issues. Maybe the vote will get amended. If not, then cruisers will just find another way to go.

NH doesn't have any real anchorage area on the coast so if your family didn't arrive with the Mayflower your choices are nill. Speaking of which, quit sending the Presidential hopefuls to our state, all the hot air is melting the snow. I always grit my teeth when someone mentions "The sap is running" cause I know they're not talking maple syrup.

Good luck Florida.

All U Get
LMAO

Jan 6, 2010
Mr. Bill,

Welcome to the Banana Republic of Florida pal.

In my left coast area, this issue has been debated & enacted for about twenty years.

As I remember, we have the same restrictions. Because of the uproar, it was decided that cities, municipalities & counties make their own restrictions. But it falls in-line with what they are doing in your area.

Here, if the city would limit areas for over-nighter boats, they had to afford designated areas for anchoring within in their jurisdictions. Check & see if this option is intended for your area. I do know that Boat US has been fighting this type of legislation for years nationally. Check them out.

CR

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
This is not 200' from from your anchor. Its 200' from your boat. So count your boat length and your scope and double it to cover swing room when the tide or wind move you.

200' to your transom + 40' or more of boat + 70'+ chain X 2. Over 600' of room would be the minimum needed.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That's human nature. My mother in law used to get so tweaked when people would bass fish by the shore line at their house. I myself have experienced the comments when fishing, there's a whole lake out, why you fishing by my place..... I don't live in FL & know the anchor war has been an ongoing issue. Are the waters they're looking to restrict considered navigable waters?
According to the coasties, navigable waters are between the markers. They are only charged with keeping marked channels clear for commerce.