Float switch for bilge pump

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
My Rule Mercury float switch needs to be replaced - the current Rule model 35 A mercury free switch does not fit into the bilge as it is about an inch longer. Anyone solve this problem?

Feb 20, 2013
Catalina 310 Channel Islands Harbor
I just installed the rule switch. It required a 1/2" inch shim under it so it would not touch the side of the bilge due to the curve of the hull. Not real happy with this as it leaves a inch of water after the pump shuts off. Will probably go with the electronic switch next time. Very tight fit. It works for now and I can move on to the next project.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Have an electronic switch and a 1,000 gph capacity bilge pump - and a check valve at the pump outlet which allows me to pump the bilge almost dry. Have since read about all the warnings against the check valve. Am watching it closely and there have not been any problems with the pump opening the check valve. Have considered removing it but will watch it closely instead for any potential failure.
Bob

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Gents: Thanks for the suggestions; I ended up using the Rule float switch and a 1/4 inch shim and got it to fit into the available space.