Flexible Solar Panel Cover

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I have searched the web up and down and have not come across any mention about covering a flexible solar panel with say a sunbrella cover when the boat is alongside and plugged in. Conversely there is a lot of material regarding the adverse effect that UV has on flexible solar panels after just a few years.

So for those of you who have flexible solar panels mounted on your boat (or RV), do you put a cover over them when the panels are not being employed? Is there any good reason not to?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I have 1993 OEM panel and it has been in the sun for 23 years and not problems yet.
You do realize that the primary light that is turned into electricity is UV so........ I'm thinking that the manufacturers would make the panel out of UV resistant materials. Mine sure seems to be

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Yes, for a different reason. I installed two flip out semi flex panels on my lifelines. They were about 3" inside the toe rail when flipped down for docking. I was concerned that a piece of hardware might be sticking out and gouge the relatively soft semi flex panel. So I fabbed a pair of covers out of 3/8" celtek PVC for covering.

All a waste as both panels went TU within 3 months. Got all my money back from Renogy and bought glass panels. Now I'm less than 2" from the edge of the toe rail with the glass. So far, no pain.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it doesnt surprise me one bit that you cant find solar panel covers.... but it does surprise me that someone would be searching for them:biggrin:.... covering a solar panel defeats the entire purpose and function of what they were designed for, and why they even exist in our world;)....

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
it doesnt surprise me one bit that you cant find solar panel covers.... but it does surprise me that someone would be searching for them:biggrin:.... covering a solar panel defeats the entire purpose and function of what they were designed for, and why they even exist in our world;)
Good one.
But when not out on the water and the boat is alongside and plugged in (ie charger topping up the batteries) for the other 265 days a year, I would think that protecting the flexible solar panels from the evil UV/IR rays that are continually degrading the panel surface would be an idea.

Maine Sail post comparing rigid versus flexible panels (circa 12 Oct 2011): "Glass covered arrays also do not suffer from a flexible EVA cover deteriorating from the sun's UV rays and can often offer better UV protection to the cells."

So OP question still stands.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2015
c&c 32 Champlain Lake, NY
Flexible panels are not covered with glass. They are covered with some kind of polycarbonate film which is vulnerable to UV (it would be interesting to find out if UV Wax would be a good alternative). Check the warranties and compare. So, if you are plugged on the dock for long-time periods it might be a good idea to cover your flexible panels if you want to keep up with them for say, up to 10 years.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
I have a flexible solar panel installed on cabin top for the past 5 seasons. Each time I apply gelcoat cosmetics (usually once a month) I also apply it to the solar panel, which continues to look "like new" or "near new". Try it out. I do agree that top film on the flexible solar panels is susceptible to UV damage.

Nick

Dec 8, 2015
x 1 x
I have these flexible panels on my roof installed by a reputable solar dealer and have them for over 8 years and working, they are guaranteed for over 25 years (prorated for degradation over time).
So how are they failing or deteriorating on a boat by UV rays if being used in the same manner?

Here is the warranty:

"According to Black, all solar panels lose about half a percent a year in efficiency. They are warrantied to 25 years because at a half percent a year, in 25 years they’ve lost 12.5% of their original power. The panel still retains 87.5% power output, it’s just that the panel manufacturer can’t claim a panel is producing X power when it’s producing 12.5% less power than when it was originally tested. After 25 years, a 10 KW system is now a 8.75 KW system, and a 4 KW system is now effectively an 3.5 KW system."

I also have a section of the flexible panel (144 watts) that I would like to incorporate onto the bimini some how... the panel is 6 foot long and cannot be cut. I'll need to either build hardtop to hold the solar panel.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
they are guaranteed for over 25 years (prorated for degradation over time).
Nick you have done very well. The best warranty I had found, until you have told me otherwise, was Solbian (flexible panel) 5 year product and 5 year peak power warranty (to 85%). I am currently installing Gioco (flexible panel) and they only offer a 2 year product/5 year peak power (to 90%) warranty.
I did read over the quote that you have provided and I went to Pure Energies website. I think that statement is just a general statement about home rigid solar panels vice flexible is it not?