Flex Products

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On TV I see commercials for Flex Tape, Flex Seal and a few other items from that product line. Has anyone used any of that stuff on their boat to any avail?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While I frequently see products in stores promoted as "As Seen on TV!" I generally do not take that as a positive product endorsement. ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have used it but not on my boat. It is basically the same as goop but Less viscous

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's an earlier thread on it

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
MSDS and advertising conflict regarding what this stuff is - one implies butyl while there is an ad description saying it is a proprietary silicone based mix. If we can’t figure out what is is, why would you want to use it and how would we know if it’s the ‘right tool for the job’?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am not ready to trust "SealFlex" even if it kept the screen door bottom dinghy dry while speeding about on his outboard. There is something just not right. Perhaps it is too much like those late night sale commercials aimed a the 2AM crowd.

In addition to the standard wood Bung, there are these ideas.

Stay Afloat Emergency Leak Sealant

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I ordered some of the Seal about 6 weeks ago for a pond fitting. It never shipped; turns out it was back-ordered and they didn't let me know that before or after the order. I can't speak to the product but their customer service is sketchy.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think you might find it at say Home Depot, Phil. Certainly it would be an essential trip to the HD in Washington to save the Koi...:poke:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I asked them about that, but they said, "This amazing product can't be found in any store, it's available only through this special TV offer. And if you act now..."

Sadly, @jssailem, every last koi ended up being a fine lunch for our neighborhood river otter. I think he enjoyed them with a side of fava beans.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Had a couple of small pin holes in the weld seam on our SS holding tank. Purchased the stuff at HD. Sprayed on two or three coats. Leaked stopped. That was a year or so ago. Pricey, but it worked for me.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Had a couple of small pin holes in the weld seam on our SS holding tank. Purchased the stuff at HD. Sprayed on two or three coats. Leaked stopped. That was a year or so ago. Pricey, but it worked for me.
SS holding tank and urine don't mix well. Plan on another round of Flexseal or a new plastic holding tank.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Dont be telling us that this stuff works. It will be hard to find somebody as easy to hound on as Phil Swift. :)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I havent had the opportunity to use it but I have handled the tape. It's very stretch, thick and sticky. It will stick very well to most surfaces but I have a feeling it would leave a mess behind if you tried to remove it or left in the sun. My first thought when I picked it up was that it might work well to seal a hole in a boat in an emergency. Who wants to give it a try?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have used Flex Seal spray on Caulking to try as stop a window leak
It deteriorated in a week of UV exposure.

I have Flex Tape stowed near my PSS bellows. The reason is if i get a leak in bellow i have no way to stop that leak.
Along with that Flex Tape, I have Duct tape to over wrap it plus wire ties.
Over done?
Not if i want to keep my boat afloat.
_____
Remember the seal made is to stop the back pressure of a leak.
Jim...

PS:
I’ll drill some holes in the hull below the waterline and give you a full report on how well it works.
:laugh:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
A neighbor used flex seal to seal vertical windows on his house boat. He used it six months ago and no leaks; I am skeptical about the stuff; going to try Dow 795 UV next time I reseal my deck skylight. Using Captain Tolly's penetrating seal until I muster enough enthusiasm to do this job again!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Perhaps it is too much like those late night sale commercials aimed a the 2AM crowd.
That's me ! And that's why I have to go back and update my post about water treatment. I'm up too late, but my brain goes to bed early.