Flawed Logic?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If we really think about this, today is the solstice which means the sun is at the Tropic of Capricorn (23° South). This is the lowest sun position for us in the northern hemisphere. We call this the first day of winter, when it should be the middle of winter. After today the sun starts its climb back to the northern hemisphere.

Is my logic flawed? Sure would like to know.
1640105617480.png

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Meh. The 1st day of winter is the first time I shovel snow after all the leaves have fallen. For some it is the day you go ice fishing. For others, it is when they put on an arctic parka at 40F. "Leeward's Winter Relativity Theory"

Your logic is partially based on relative air temps for an area. Aka winter is cold.
But many places don't have very noticable winters. 3 summers and a spring

But officially, winter is really not about air temperature.. just cyclical planetary relative position transitions determined by hairless apes.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Arbitrary' is the word that comes to mind.
Sorta. The time of a solstice is easy calculated. Lord knows how much discussion and fighting would occur if we tried to make the official start of each season, some time between solstice and equinox.

If we end up with interplanetary civilizations doing trade.. imagine the mayhem of organizing calendars.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
With all due respect, 67F is still shorts weather... true Big boy pants are for -20 and colder...
I grew up in New England and I've been in -20F when stationed at Great Lakes NTC. That's why I parked my arse here almost 50 years ago. I think we must have more Canadians here in winter than in all of Canada. Come on down. You might also be able to leave your big boy pants at home. That's how we can tell when one is Canadian. Plus, you all think Jan. is a fine time to go swimming. Brrrr! :)

• Ha
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
..you all think Jan. is a fine time to swimming. Brrrr! :)
I suspect most of them must be from Quebec... Hehe.

That said, I do enjoy sitting in a hot tub or hot pool surrounded by snow, then running into a sauna.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
As an "older" native California sailor I started wearing my flannel lined chinos last week when the high temperatures plummeted to the low 60's (F).

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If we want to dissect “logic” ‘splain to me why we shorten our daylight by an hour each fall?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If we want to dissect “logic” ‘splain to me why we shorten our daylight by an hour each fall?
Look at this (il)logic. We lengthen our morning light and shorten our evening light. Explain that. At least Arizona got it right.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
For the same reason it’s coldest one hour after dawn: lag time.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When I lived on the East End of LI a friend who was an engineer and amateur astronomer told us that the Sun is actually setting later every day for around a week before the Winter Solstice. The reason the days are still becoming more short is that the sunrise is getting later for those days, more than the Sun is setting later. This used to scramble my brains about like Dr. Spock's brain destroying weapon. Due to my dyslexia, I was never able to verify this on the tables. I just couldn't do it.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
It's all about the lag time. Here in the northeast the coldest weather is January and February and the hottest weather is July August, both are weeks after the solstice. Plus it takes a while for the oceans to cool and then warm.