Flags

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Would it be inappropriate to fly any of them?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Since they were your Grandfather's, it would be appropriate to display them in your home or office where you could explain the significance. If you know where your grandfather sailed, you might be able to find his club. If he was active, there will be plaques with his name on it.

Officer flags are only flown by the position holder while on his/her boat. The other flags indicate membership in an organization, if you are a member of the organization, then it would be appropriate.

Club officers share a special allegiance due to their position, especially among those who are Commodores or Past Commodores. We Past Commodores even get our own special flag and there is a Past Commodores Association (It is an organization that seems a bit too stuffy for me).

If your family has any ties to the Kingston Ontario area, the one burgee might be from the Trident Yacht Club between Kingston and Gananoque.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
.... Past Commodores. We Past Commodores even get our own special flag and there is a Past Commodores Association (It is an organization that seems a bit too stuffy for me).
My friend Jim Jessie was Commodore of the Oakland Yacht Club sometime in the mid 1960's. He always tells us Past Commodore sounds too much like Passed Commodore. He tells us "I'm not dead yet. I'm a Staff Commodore". A great guy we've been lucky enough to know for 36 years. When we joined in 1985 his dad was still a member since 1934. :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
From Left to right:

Probably a local club pennant. A Vice-Commodore Flag. Power Squadron. A yacht club burgee
Actually, that is a Rear Commodore flag of a yacht club RC. Vice Commodore is a red field w/white stars; Commodore is blue field w/white stars. True, YC burgees are triangular or swallow tail, but triangular flags are also pennants. So, the 1st flag would not be a pennant. The 1st flag might be one of a few possibilities. It might indicate membership in an organization, but not likely a yacht club as those are pennants. Could be a private flag, which can be a rectangular flag. If we knew the emblem, might be able to track it down.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I can tell you about the last two on the right; they are from the United States Power Squadrons. The rightmost burgee with the trident means your grandfather was a lieutenant with his local squadron. He served on the squadron's executive team probably as a Member At Large. It does not indicate he was the Commander or Vice Commander. The burgee next to it, with the vertical stripes, is the official national ensign of the Power Squadrons and still used today. It can be flown legally on a boat in place of the United States nautical ensign (flag) if the skipper wants to do so. The other two flags on the left I can't help you with.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So I can't fly my Off Soundings Club burgee since I resigned when I moved South? Do I get a refund for the cost of the burgee? No matter. They still list me as a member. Someday, they'll update that. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jan 11, 2014
So I can't fly my Off Soundings Club burgee since I resigned when I moved South? Do I get a refund for the cost of the burgee? No matter. They still list me as a member. Someday, they'll update that. But I'm not holding my breath.
In some clubs, you only rent the burgee. When you resign or get thrown out you are supposed to return the burgee.

Perhaps you could sell your old burgee to some new member for a discount. :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That's what some of the initiation fee goes to pay for-the burgee. Nevertheless, you're still supposed to turn it in w/your card and key/fob when your membership ends.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Do I have to return the tie, too? Geez!
I guess my guest account at SIYC is defunct too! Well, I think they closed those accounts. I guess we were spending too much of our money at the bar! It was bad for business.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
yacht ensign
Getting an education, thank you. I looked up yacht ensign. This has nothing to do with the power squadron. This, I assume can be flown unless I’m smuggling ;)?
Wikipedia:
A yacht ensign is a flag allowed by some nations to be hoisted as the national ensign (instead of the civil ensign) by yachts.

As with any other civil ensign, the yacht ensign is the largest flag on board, and is normally flown at the stern (rear) of the ship.

Yacht ensigns differ from merchant ensigns in that their use indicates that the yacht is not carrying any cargo which requires a customs declaration. Carrying commercial cargo on a boat with a yacht ensign is deemed to be smuggling in many jurisdictions.[1]

Jan 11, 2014
Yacht ensigns differ from merchant ensigns in that their use indicates that the yacht is not carrying any cargo which requires a customs declaration. Carrying commercial cargo on a boat with a yacht ensign is deemed to be smuggling in many jurisdictions.[1]
This is precisely why I never fly the yacht ensign when Cuban Rum is aboard. ;)

The yacht ensign should also not be flown in foreign waters, it is for US waters only.