Flag Clips

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Having not yet rigged flag halyards on the Wet Dog I tried using flag clips that I purchased from Amazon ( DU-BRO Fishing Flag Clips for Halyards and Outriggers). I put them on the Starboard shroud with a Yacht Ensign. The only issues was after a time the clips would slowly come together and I would have to separate them using the boat hook. I made a spacer with a dowel stick and two eye screws. It works perfectly.IMG_20211206_082327289.jpg
After about a month the flags have not caused any issue, even after an after noon with 15 mph winds with gusts to 20. I plan to add flag halyards to the spreaders this winter whenever I drop the mast.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Having not yet rigged flag halyards on the Wet Dog I tried using flag clips that I purchased from Amazon ( DU-BRO Fishing Flag Clips for Halyards and Outriggers). I put them on the Starboard shroud with a Yacht Ensign. The only issues was after a time the clips would slowly come together and I would have to separate them using the boat hook. I made a spacer with a dowel stick and two eye screws. It works perfectly.View attachment 200728
my clips have so much spring that they don't budge after I clip to the shroud. They are even hard to compress.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe try a thicker diameter flag halyard.

I have the same clip that relies on a small hook which comes out when you apply the right hand of God to the spring. Once that hook gets on to the the halyard, there's no way it will slip. Sorry I can't remember the halyard diameter, but it's a woven nylon.

Smart looking flag !

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I use those by making a small prusic loop out of string. I wrapped the string around the flag halyard and hoist away.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I use those by making a small prusic loop out of string. I wrapped the string around the flag halyard and hoist away.
flag halyards are great. I will install them the next time I drop the mast.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The problem with those
those
1638836521286.jpeg

is that they are too hard to attach and detach. So when you haul down your flags you’ll curse a blue streak getting them off and hate putting them back on next time.
That's why I switched to the clips I showed. The loop goes through the flag grommet and tightened with pliers and left on. Then you just clip onto the halyard. Easy peasy. I’ve never had one come off even in very strong winds.