Fixing up a 1981 MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcneeb

Apr 1, 2008
Yamaha MKII Bay City
I am very new to sailing. In fact I have never been sailing before but it has been something I have wanted to learn for several years now. I recently came into possession (no cost) of a 25 Yamaha and want to get it back into the water. I have sailing classes lined up and know people willing to take me out for hands on experience. The problem is, the boat needs a little bit of repair and beautification. It has sat out of the water for eight year and received no attention for the duration. The deck is dirty and chalky, the hull is shabby, and the keel is chipped at the bottom and rusty. I would like to make her shine again, and I would like to do the work myself. Any suggestions or best practices with respect to products, materials, tools, ect?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Jcneeb, May I call you JC? start out with just what you need for the

job at hand. In this case a bucket and a scrub brush. Then you may find that you need some basic hand tools , pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, wire brushes. Then you may need some power tools. Go easy here if you aren't certain what will serve best. Come back and discribe the job at hand and get advice about the tools and technique. Be sure to get a large can of elbow grease and a supply of sweat equity. They help to make the boat look the way you want it to look when you get done.

A

Andrew

This old boat

My soon to be wife bought me the book 'This Old Boat' and it really helped me. I can not remember the author right now, but it was worth the read. -Andrew Modus Vivendi

L

Lyn

"This Old Boat" by Don Casey

I'll 2nd that vote for the Book "This Old Boat" by Don Casey. My crew just gave me this book and it quickly became my favorite amongst my many books. Lot Of Basic Information and when you are done with the BASICS-- there is lots of trick ideas for upgrades.I suggest it to ALL sailors. Work on getting the keel/bottom squared away (search "keel restoration" on the net )first and get the boat in the water so you can use it! Don't seek perfection, it's unobtainable, but focus on safe/reliable systems--- KEEP IT SIMPLE. GO SAILING As your skills improve the desire to improve your boat will come also-It's the sailors curse. ENJOY!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.