Fixing a ding in a lead keel

Jul 9, 2015
Catalina 34 Mk II Toronto
A friend put a ding on the leading edge of the lead keel on his C&C 35 (grounding). I'm helping him with the repair...I think some heat (propane plumbing torch) and a ball pine hammer should be able to roughly reshape the ding (wearing proper PPE of course) and then fairing with an epoxy-based fairing compound. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How hard was the grounding? How deep is the ding?

Lead is pretty malleable, heat may not be necessary. Beat it back into rough shape and fair. Follow West System instructions for fairing lead keels. It is on their website.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My boat came with a dinged up trailing edge wing keel. I just used a hand held sledge to tap it back into place as Dave said. No heat needed.
Then I used Total Boat Fair faring compound, sanded and coated with InterProtect E2000 ( I think that is the name) All seems to have worked well.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have a ding too.

This was the small ding repair, answer from Hunter Expert , Joe Kerr...

West System Epoxy-
HARDENER EPOXY 206C / RESIN EPOXY 105C

Unless it is a major bend , the sailing performance should not change.
Jim...

PS: Beat to fit, Paint to match.;)

• Helpful

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Being near heated lead is not good for longevity or brain cells. We used a 10 pound sledgehammer. Most ball peen hammers won't be hefty enough.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
When I had a ding in the keel on my C&C I pounded a bit to reshape. Lead oxidizes really fast and the oxide layer doesn't bond well to paint so I wire brushed the lead until it was bright and shiny then I quickly gave it a coat with epoxy (thin, no filler). After that set up I used thickened epoxy to fair it then painted. Wear an appropriate mask when grinding or sanding lead, the dust is really not good stuff to breath in.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Use colloidal silica as the epoxy thickener, mix it thick so it does not run and it sets up, well as hard as lead..