Fixed Port Removal on Irwin 37 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2008
Irwin 37 CC Sloop Alameda
We're trying to remove the four original fixed windows from our 1976 Irwin 37. They have riveted aluminum frames inside which I assumed once removed would allow the windows to be forced inward for removal. But now that I have one of the frames removed it isn't obvious which way they should come out. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any advice on the best way to remove them? I'm planning to use the old windows as templates for the new plexiglass ones we will replace them with so removing them in one piece would be preferred. Thanks! -Steve

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
I also have a '76 37'. The windows are inset in the OUTSIDE. The metal is just for decoration. I did a lot of glassing in as the old windows really stuck to the hull.

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
I was lucky as mine were already replaced, but they did not use the correct drainage so when window is opened, water pours in, after a rain. Also, I do not think I would get smoke colored since they are so small, I would rather have the extra light. But I did replace the curtains.

Dec 6, 2010
Irwin 37 MkII Coles Point, VA
Hi, Stevee: I just recently rebedded my four fixed windows and the reseal was successful. The plexiglas comes out to the outside, just use a box cutter to cut around the perimeter of the plexiglas to break the seal as much as possible, and then press outward until you can get a putty knife behind the plexiglas to pry it off. The finish of the window opening is pretty poor on my boat, so you may have to do some reconstruction of the port opening itself. Good luck.
Southern Drawl

Status
Not open for further replies.