Fixed port plexiglass replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Rutland

I have just removed the fixed ports because they are leaking. While I have them out I would like to replace the old scratched plexiglass. does anyone know how to get the frame apart to remove the old glass ?

S

Scott Johnston

Frame Removal

This will depend on the frame type. Do you have the metal or plastic frames? I recently replaced mine - we have the metal frames. Two had been done before hand were sealed in with calk. The original frames were sealed and had a hard rubber strip that held them in the frame. I just worked the edge out with a knife and then pulled the retaining strip out (from the outside of the frame. On the inside of the frame it appears that the plexi was held in with double sided sealing tape. Once I got the old plexi out I scraped all of the calk out from the groves, sanded and preped, and repainted the frames. I had the plexi cut slightly oversize and trimmed using a jigsaw with a blade used for cutting pvc pipe. Then the trusty dremmel was used to fit and finish. I re-installed the frames first. Overbored the screw holes then sealed the holes and opening with 2-part epoxy. I then filled the holes with marine-tex. Used Dow-795 white to seal in the frames (use masking tape to get a clean edge, and a cup of soapy water to dip your finger in to smooth the edges. Once the frames were in Dow-795 black was used to seal in the plexi. Only been a couple of months, but we are leak free and they look fantastic! Scott 83-H34 Island Hops. PS. If I ever get some time to scan the photos I will post the complete procedure to HOW. (I know - been promising for ages but Y2K is keeping us all far too busy).

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Mark of Mark Plastics

Bob: If you scan for "Mark Plastics" in the archieves, you'll find several posts on the subject. Here is the address of a company that can take care of you. "Evidently the first ports for the boats had aluminum frames made by Go Industries. Go went! No longer available. Go was evidently bought buy, or replaced by Mark Plastics, 369 East Harrison St. #G, Corona, CA 91719. I spoke with Mark Heacox who is the Mark in Mark Plastics. He said Hunter switched to a plastic frames at some point and that is what he can supply. To get the windows, one needs to call Mark at (909)735-7705 to discuss measurements because he said no two boats are exactly alike."

Status
Not open for further replies.