Fixed Boom on C-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffg

Jun 3, 2006
- - Boston
Hi, I would like to mount a solid boom vang to my Catalina 30 and need to keep the boom from rotating on the fitting supplied by Catalina. Does anyone know of a fitting designed to replace tghe rotating pin on the Catalina Boom? Or, do you knaow how to keep the pin from rotating? Thanks, Jeff

J

John

Call Garhaur

I was wondering what you meant untill I went in the backyard and looked at my old mast and boom. LeFiel built my new mast and boom. Garhaur made my solid vang. I think they could help you on new fittings that would keep the boom from rotating. Hope this helps some. John

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
No problem

The rigid vang will stop your boom from rotating.

Jeffg

Jun 3, 2006
- - Boston
Load on Boom Tang?

Won't leaving the boom to rotate put a twisting load on the boom end of the rigid Vang and the boom tang? At $600+ I don't want to have to replace them too soon. Thanks, Jeff

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Should be O.K.

I have a C36 made in 1984 that has a boom goosneck fitting that allows teh boom to rotate. I have the Garhauer solid vang. I don't think htis is a problem. I don't think there is a reasonable way, from an engineering perspective, to stop the boom from rotating a little bit, but it is ultimately limited by the main sail, which is both making it rotate a little, and then stopping it. My vang seems to absorb all of this in stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.