Fix or toss

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

I’m looking for an assessment of this chainplate. It was for a backstay and looks like it broke from being case-hardened by previous work and tried to be fixed creating an even worse situation. Am I in agreement with most of you?

1615216951314.png

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It can be welded and then ground flush and be stronger, but Cost versus New is the issue.
Jim...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm with @JamesG161 - If you're doing the welding & grinding and already have the equipment, it's cheaper to DIY. I'm guessing if you were a machinist and had those things in your shop, you wouldn't be asking us what we think! If you hired it done, the honest machinist would probably offer to make you new out of stock to save you the cost. Just out of curiosity - what do you think would happen to your rig if this thing parted with the wind aft the beam?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It was for a backstay and looks like it broke from being case-hardened by previous work and tried to be fixed creating an even worse situation.
The cracking is due to either stress cracking (from the welding) or is just a poor quality SS.

Have a good marine shop fabricate a new one, ideally from 316L, as there will be no post heat treatment and the heat affected area will likely stain badly.

DO NOT weld up the old one or the same problem will rear its ugly head again. Perhaps even worse with a larger heat affected area.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would replace it, but keep the SS for some other job. I'm glad you identified it, as I wanted to check mine, but our backstay chain plates are about twice that big. A relief.
Do you have running backstays? If so where do you attach them?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thanks, I thought I was the only one thinking that this chainplate wasn’t worth salvaging. I’m surprised the sailor made it across to Bimini.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Replace them all. Not too long ago, I had an upper shroud chain plate fail while underway.:yikes: Had a machinist fabricate six new ones. Some time later the masthead plate snapped while underway but thankfully while going downwind. Again, had a new one fabricated. All out of 316 SS. Just by some quick maneuvering and a lot of luck did I not lose the whole rig. Do not put the boat and lives at risk to save a few boat bucks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Take it to a blacksmith. Perhaps he can repurpose it into a boat knife.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Take it to a blacksmith.
Is "blacksmith" even politically correct now ?

After Dr. Seuss, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and other such current embarrassments as we now have, I'd check with the word police first.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is "blacksmith" even politically correct now ?

After Dr. Seuss, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and other such current embarrassments as we now have, I'd check with the word police first.
Interesting question - I hope the term "blacksmith" has not been included as a new "bad" word as nothing about it fits the current political concerns. At least I can't see a thing about that word that one should have concerns about....

Having started my career as a blacksmith, I've no idea how I would now have to identify my early working years. I also continue enjoying that as a hobby working with a number of craftspeople, both male and female, that many call themselves blacksmiths, some just call themselves artists but hose are folks that the term artist would clearly be more appropriate....

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While the use of words is under attack, it is my understanding anything you say will have those who agree and those who don't agree and a few that will be offended.

When bullies in school would call you names to get you to "Fight", my Mom would share the saying - Sticks and Stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you."

With Facebook as a gauge of your "Friends" and your world wrapped in a 15" screen it is easy to perceive the "danger - violence" of words. The question is do you believe enough in your self to walk away from a nasty word like "Blacksmith" or do you have the need to bully and shame the user.