Fix For Crazed Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2010
Hunter 336 Maquam Shore, VT
We recently purchased a 1995 336. The windows on the hull (two on each side) are so crazed/dull that you can't see out. Is there a way to fix this without replacing them? My husband is debating a product that refinishes car headlights.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That will help a lot.. you also can do the polishing with a buffer on a power drill and some polishing compound followed by a coat of tough wax. Will not last more than a year or so but the next time is easier.. the headlight polishing kits have a pretty good buffer wheel in 'em and good instructions..

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks Claude, we'll try that. Glad to hear that won't damage the windows. Even if it's an annual job it sounds easy enough.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Crazed to me implies cracks thru the plastic. Buffing won't fix that. Fogged windows ca be buffed.

My admirial likes her privacy in marinas so we keep our ports fogged and add curtains.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Rachel.. uuhhhh a disclaimer.. A person who is not fairly skilled in the use of a power buffer can damage the "glass" in the process.. Careful application and keeping the buffer slow and wet helps until ya get some experience.. Watch the edges so the wheel doesn't "catch" on it.. Is a good idea to use blue masking tape around the fixed port glass .. If using a plug in power drill, be sure to run it through a ground fault protector.. and think about tying a line to it that won't let it hit the water when working over the side.. Good Luck.. I think you'll be pleased with the results if done carefully.. Some of the deeper crazing will remain, but the fog will mostly disappear..

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We recently purchased a 1995 336. The windows on the hull (two on each side) are so crazed/dull that you can't see out. Is there a way to fix this without replacing them? My husband is debating a product that refinishes car headlights.

Thanks!
You can fix "cloudy" but you can't fix the "crazed" part. Any of the plastic polishes will help the cloudy part, and if you don't focus on the crazing you should be able to see a lot better.

Sep 4, 2010
I guess they are cloudy, not crazed; no cracks. My husband is quite skilled and should be able to do this. I'm so glad there's a remedy instead of replacing them.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You may want to try Aurora Marine Products. I used this on our opening ports several weeks ago and they are still clear. The product has a cleaner and a finish that seems to keep the acrylic from fogging again.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
You may have to replace them. That is what I did for all my 1987 Hunter 31 port windows that I could not see out of.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you have some FLITZ metal polish in paste form in a tube take a little on a rag like a tee shirt material and test it on a spot by hand...i used it on some dodger windows with great success ...if you are good with a polishing buffing pad yo9u may use that instead of by hand ...hope this helps...

regards

woody

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
We have used 303 Protectant for years to keep our portlights clear. It also does wonders for your bimini & dodger vinyl windows.

May 17, 2010
hunter 33 marina del rey
My husband used the headlight kit with great success!
I had to polish my windows also. Don't bother with the headlight cleaners. Go to Home Depot, buy a cheap plug-in drill, if you don't have one already.[ the cordless ones are heavy and you run out of juice] buy the buffing wheel that fits into the drill and tubes of the buffing compound. one red and one white. My whole bill was well under $50.:) It will take about 30 min per window. my limiting factor was my back giving out so I did it over two days and sailed in between.

Neffie

Nov 9, 2010
Hunter 42 Passage Seabrook
I used Prism Polish on a rag by hand with very good results.

John
94' 33.5

Apr 12, 2009
Hunter 1996 hunter 40.5 Green Cove Springs FL
paul1938 said:
I had to polish my windows also. Don't bother with the headlight cleaners. Go to Home Depot, buy a cheap plug-in drill, if you don't have one already.[ the cordless ones are heavy and you run out of juice] buy the buffing wheel that fits into the drill and tubes of the buffing compound. one red and one white. My whole bill was well under $50.:) It will take about 30 min per window. my limiting factor was my back giving out so I did it over two days and sailed in between.
what is the stuff in the tubes? I have the same problem on a '96. guess its age

Status
Not open for further replies.