Fitting a new head sail

Infy

Apr 22, 2021
CATALINA 30 Everett
Hey everyone - I just bought a new (new to me) head sail and having some trouble mounting it. I have a catalina 30 and I purchased a catalina 30 headsail. I thought that would make things easier. But it doesn't quite work.

It looks like if I was to raise the headsail to the top of the mast it could be a perfect fit. But my filling system only takes it up maybe 80%. This obviously won't work.

My fuller has a loop that I use to raise the jib with a cable. If I use a mast halyard it will tie up around the furling system as it turns so I can't use that. I've been using the loop. And that has worked fine for a few years.

I'd like to keep the sail. Is there anything I can do?

Screenshot_20210422-201505_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-201514_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-201525_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210422-201537_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210422-201610_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210422-201903_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210422-201849_Photos.jpg

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It looks like you have a line that is stopping the sail from going up the Furler. Most sails I have seen slip up the furler in the groove. Your sail looks like it is wrapped around the furler.

Infy

Apr 22, 2021
CATALINA 30 Everett
My old sail was just a simple #6 luff tape all the way. This one isn't what I expected. It has a zipper. The luff tape starts about 5ft from the top tip and the rest you zip up. Not sure how I feel about that.

It's not wrapped around the furling. Just encased as a pocket. Photo below.

But I think you're right. I just zoomed in on a mast photo and it looks like I have a little more room. Hard to see on a sunny day..

But I don't think it will be enough.

I can try next time I'm out. I need to to get it off the deck so it will properly furl.

Screenshot_20210422-212043_Photos.jpg

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

I believe that the Catalina 30 comes with different rigs: standard, tall, bow sprit, tall+ bow sprit. What is your rig and what rig is the sail made for? If you have a standard rig and a sail for the bow sprit, it wont fit your boat.

Barry

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I have a C-30 with a CDI furler. I see a few issues with your set- up.
First, your sail needs #6 luff tape that slides inside the gray extrusion, instead of the pocket over the outside of it. I think that mod could be done easily, but talk to a sailmaker about it.
Second, the internal wire halyard is wrapped around the extrusion, at the top. That’s what is keeping you from
raising all the way. Next time you raise the sail, make sure that there’s no wrap when you start. It’s an easy mistake to make. I’ve done it myself.
And I think the amount of room you have at the top of the extrusion is quite a bit less than the amount of sail you have left to raise. One solution would be to modify the sail to fit.

There are several videos on YouTube that might be helpful.

The folks at CDI have very good phone support.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think that mod could be done easily, but talk to a sailmaker about it.
When I bought my boat I knew the sails were on their last year or two of serviceability. While I wanted new sails I knew that the boat and rigging needed work before a new suit of clothes could be raised on her. I needed to repair the sails enough to get a couple of years use till I would be ready for new sails.

I have worked with three lofts in the Seattle area.

Within 90 days of boat ownership, I enjoyed my first sail repair experience with SV Hadley. The loft was with the Ballard Boys in Seattle. A friend took me and my aged main sail to their shop. They identified the sail cloth as near the end of it's life. Made several repairs for minimal cost and had the sail back to me in a week. Good Service, Solid repairs to an old tired sail. Got me out on the water and sailing the boat. Sail lasted 3 years, then I replaced it with a new sail. Very skilled racing reputation.

End of year 1, I could see my Genoa needed the sun cover restitched, I called Ballard Sails. They were swamped. No time for 3-4 weeks to even examine the sail. This was winter and I knew that such a schedule would affect my spring sailing plans. I found Schattauer Sails just down the street. Old building, great loft. Old school trained. Lots of experience, and hands on old school sail skills. Took them 5 weeks to schedule and do the work. Did a terrific job. Showed me how the sail was worn out but serviceable. Installed a new Sun cover. Added sail patches where needed. Repaired leach line and returned to me a sail that was ready for the wind and a few more years of sailing enjoyment.

As the 2018 cruising season came to a close I decide to bite the bullet and replace my main sail. I check with both the previous lofts but got less then strong interest. They were busy and when asking for a quote, there were delays and high numbers being suggested. I went to the Boat show and visited with all of the sail lofts offering their skills. I got quotes started with 3 of them. I had heard of Carol Hasse Sails in Port Townsend. So I called Port Townsend Sails. After several attempts I finally spoke with someone. While the quality and reputation of Hasse Sails are stellar, the price tag was beyond my pocket book. If I was planning to passage across the Pacific or around the world, the investment would likely be well spent.

When I returned to reality, I decided on North Sails. I liked the approach of Jack Christiansen the Loft manager. We arranged for him to visit my boat and do a measurement of the boat and rig, before putting together the quote. We discussed my sailing plans, expectations of my sails, racing or cruising, how long I might be the boats owner. Some questions were tougher than others to answer, but together they gave him the information needed to put a package together. The pricing was favorable. Within the range of the other boat show quotes, but more tailored to my boat and needs. He was clear that the Genoa was also in need of replacement, but the main was more urgent. He suggested a couple of year plan to overhaul the sails and perhaps add an Asymmetrical. He had read my mind or somewhere in our discussion I had given him the plan. I received my Main sail in the spring of 2019. I was very pleased with the work and support. I ordered the Genoa and Asymmetrical sails that fall for delivery spring 2020. In time for the Spring shake down cruises and preparation for my 360 Vancouver Isle cruise. The sails arrived on time, sadly so did Covid which dashed the Big cruise plans.

All the lofts were good to work with. While you want to go to someone you find and trust, sometimes you need to be flexible and go with the folks who have time to devote to you and your needs. All three are worth your time to contact and discuss your needs about your Genoa and how it might be reshaped to meet your sail needs.

Good luck @Infy

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hi,

I believe that the Catalina 30 comes with different rigs: standard, tall, bow sprit, tall+ bow sprit. What is your rig and what rig is the sail made for? If you have a standard rig and a sail for the bow sprit, it wont fit your boat.

Barry
Barry is on target ... 1st step measure your sail and make sure it has the right luff dimension for your boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
And, GEEZE, MAN... treat those line ends and get rid of those fraying split-ends! String-wrap and/or cauterize them or pay someone who knows how to do it :yikes:

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Barry is on target ... 1st step measure your sail and make sure it has the right luff dimension for your boat.
Yes. And that dimension would be from the top of the extrusion to the top of the roller, where the lower clew attaches. Minus a couple of inches to give you some wiggle room.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a CDI furler on my O’Day 322....I like the fact that it has an internal halyard (I don’t have an extra halyard to use). But it takes some practice to get the sail set up each season...

My sail has a luff tape, so my sail slides into one of the 2 tracks in the extrusion. The “slide “ cones down the other track and pulls the wire halyard (and the sail) up the other track. I put the sail in the wrong track, and half way up it ran into the slide...oops...drop the sail and put it in the other track.

In your case, I am not sure how the slide doesn’t run into the “envelope“ of the sail...does the slide and whatever messenger you are using to pull it down to inside the hull envelope?

As someone else mentioned, your wire halyard is wrapped around the extrusion near the top. It cannot pull the sail all the way up.

You need to unwrap that halyard to get the sail all the way up.

I can’t tell if the sail is too long or not...if you have it all the way up the extrusion, and you cannot tighten the tack at the bottom, the sail is too long.

You could have a sail maker shorten it (and put a luff tape on at the same time), or order a new one...neither option is cheap, but will certainly make your sailing experience much better.

Greg

Infy

Apr 22, 2021
CATALINA 30 Everett
And, GEEZE, MAN... treat those line ends and get rid of those fraying split-ends! String-wrap and/or cauterize them or pay someone who knows how to do it :yikes:
Oh no I knew I would get some grief on this lol. I'm surprised nobody has commented on the spreaders yet. I'm just approaching things by priority right now.

Infy

Apr 22, 2021
CATALINA 30 Everett
I'll reset the sail again this weekend and see if I can get a better fit.

Modifying the used sail is definitely cost prohibitive though. I've made some calls. These sails can be had for $300-$500 with years of life so spending 2x as much having one modified just doesn't add up.

I have a free mast halyard I could use to raise this jib all the way to the top of the mast. That seems ideal. I would definitely get it off the deck and have all that extra sail area. The problem with that is - when using a mast halyard - the halyard starts to wrap around the furling when I start to furl the jib. As the furling turns, the halyard spools up around it.

Is there anything that can be done about that?

This furling system has only worked if I use the internal halyard. I raise it with a messenger and then tie the messenger line down at the spool. Then everything rotates freely.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Look also at the direction your furling line is wrapped around the drum. The way the fairlead is set up on the bow pulpit leads me to think the furling line should coil in the opposite direction so that the sacrificial UV protection ends up on the outside when the jib is furled. That lead angle from the bow pulpit to the furler the way it is set creates a turn that will cause some added friction.
That sail looks like it had a long and hard life. Its next career is at best the use as a drop cloth. Hopefully the day will come when the budget permits the acquisition of a better, if not new, sail.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You have to use the internal halyard.
I do believe the line is wound on the furling drum the wrong way. I took my line off over the winter, and replaced it this spring...and wound it backwards the first time. Realized it when the UV strip wasn’t where it is supposed to be.

what is this at the top pf the sail? It doesn’t look right...
5918D60C-9FCA-4C4C-845D-EDDAD7C3149E.pngCD9B4AD7-7644-413D-BF0C-187D00425A89.png

Greg