Fishfinder/depth sounder and speedo mount

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I just won a bid on a Interphase Echo 200 fish finder/depth sounder and speedo. So a few questions about mounting. How far away does it need to be from the center board to prevent the centerboard from interfering. I don't really care about seeing fish, but just getting accurate depth readout and speed. The pick up is designed for transom mount, but I was hoping to drop the cord through the centerboard slot and epoxy it to the bottom of the boat in front of the board. Since I don't want a long cord trailing behind it, I was wondering how far away it needs to be.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Not sure about a CB affecting it, but the sounder on my depth is mounted about a foot to starboard from the leading edge of my keel, and it works perfectly fine.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Does the speedo have the little spinning pickup, or does it use GPS for that function?
Sorry that I'm not familar with that model. If so it may need to go on the transom.

for the depth only transducer I've had good luck just sticking a blob of bees wax inside the hull and pressing the transdicer into it. If it doesn't work there, just peel it up and move it. Once you find a location that works well most folks epoxy it down.

You can get bees wax cheap by buying a toilet wax ring at your nearest home improvement store. You will only use a tiny bit of it.

Ken

Ken

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you better be in your sailor suite when you call i don't answer frog calls:D and remember i have caller id

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
It does have the spinning paddle wheel for the speed pickup. Are you stating that will not work under the boat?

Apr 8, 2015
Macgregor Venture 22 Charlotte NC
Please excuse me for jumping in here, but I have to ask about the bees wax trick!
I didn't know you could mount a Transducer in the hull. I only have experience with walmart fish finder. Is this a different kind of transducer or can this be done with all?
Can you mount them mid ship? Will that give you a better warning if some shallows sneak up on you?