Fischer Panda Mini 12 valve corrosion

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I have had to have the cylinder head removed and machined and the valves replaced due to salt water corrosion in my Fischer Panda Mini 12 , that was factory installed by Hunter. It appears that due to the limited space caused by the installation below the floor, the distance for the exhaust water to fall into the water lift muffler upon shutdown is much less then almost 2 feet recommended by FP. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas to prevent in the future, other than starting generator after every sail?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have had to have the cylinder head removed and machined and the valves replaced due to salt water corrosion in my Fischer Panda Mini 12 , that was factory installed by Hunter. It appears that due to the limited space caused by the installation below the floor, the distance for the exhaust water to fall into the water lift muffler upon shutdown is much less then almost 2 feet recommended by FP. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas to prevent in the future, other than starting generator after every sail?
This is difficult to understand. Are you trying to say that, when the generator is shut down, the cooling water in the exhaust hose runs back into the exhaust manifold because the lift is too high and the exhaust hose too long due to the generator installation below the deck? If that is the case, have you considered a check valve in the exhaust hose?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Sorry, but you're going to have to supply a lot more detail with measured lengths, elevations, and diameters before we (me at least) can see what your dealing with. A sketch would be best but even a few photos would go a loooooong way towards helping to envision this.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Many/most water lift mufflers have a drain. Drain the muffler, but that sounds like a pain. Maybe you could put a hose on the muffler drain and run it to a more convenient location in the bilge, add a valve so that draining is easier. Maybe add a small orifice instead of a valve and just let the muffler slowly drain into the bilge, so much for a dry bilge though. Although not ideal, I think letting the muffler slowly drain into the bilge and letting the bilge pump deal with the water is better than a generator that won't run.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Better solution
Replace your junky shower sump boxes with a single Whale IC grey water discharge system.
Then just plumb this into the grey water like,. you’ll never know about it again
Simple solution, and costs nothing