First Yacht 53 promo

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One of the biggest and most anticipated boat launches of 2019, the First Yacht 53 is a stunner to look at. Performance on the race track yet to be seen, but you will for sure do the event in absolute style. In any case its quick. And while most recent Beneteau videos have been very couple friendly, for better or worse, the First 53 is being presented as a full-on 'boy's toy'. Zoom!!!

It does have one 'feature' that I have never seen on a First, and still cannot quite wrap my head around. Anyone?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Well you did say in another thread that you were looking at getting a sport boat. Is this it? ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Not sure, but it’s a very nice looking boat! Swim platform?
good eye... that’s true, as well as the dinghy garage. Both great adds for this type of boat. The the ‘feature’ I’m looking at is more sail on related.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Main sheet is at the deck between the twin helms. No car visual for side-to-side motion.

Nov 8, 2010
No traveller.
yea.... didn’t we discuss this over beers?? ;-)

never seen a first sans traveler.

Another mini quiz. While the effects of this will not really be felt in PHRF, it will have an uncorrectable negative effect in ratings systems like IRC and ORC. Why?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Possibly, but I did watch the video to see for myself.:) As for the IRC/ORC, not that familiar but, does it have to do with how the VPP calculates the value?

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside

Another mini quiz. While the effects of this will not really be felt in PHRF, it will have an uncorrectable negative effect in ratings systems like IRC and ORC. Why?
Look how far back the mainsheet is on tbe boom. Its far back enough that it might not be needed. Sail is not a square top either.

Would the traveler complicate push button trim?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace

As I understand it systems like IRC and ORC are driven by mathematical models, based on things like dimensions and hull shape. Those models would assume that you can get the sails in the right place for your optimal angle of attack. Without a traveler your main’s AoA will be somewhat compromised. PHRF, with its ratings based on performance rather than dimensions, will be able to take all of the boat’s design features into account.
Look how far back the mainsheet is on tbe boom. Its far back enough that it might not be needed. Sail is not a square top either.
There are times when you want to have the boom at or even above the centerline of the boat. Not possible without a traveler that can pull to windward. Having a single attachment point on the centerline means your boom will always be at least a little below center.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Nowhere to sit for the helmsman. This seems to be true for all the new pricey sailboats, and one reason why I wouldn’t trade my Bella Zee in for any of them.

Nov 8, 2010
Possibly, but I did watch the video to see for myself.:) As for the IRC/ORC, not that familiar but, does it have to do with how the VPP calculates the value?
too many topics, too many beers! ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
As I understand it systems like IRC and ORC are driven by mathematical models, based on things like dimensions and hull shape. Those models would assume that you can get the sails in the right place for your optimal angle of attack. Without a traveler your main’s AoA will be somewhat compromised. PHRF, with its ratings based on performance rather than dimensions, will be able to take all of the boat’s design features into account.

There are times when you want to have the boom at or even above the centerline of the boat. Not possible without a traveler that can pull to windward. Having a single attachment point on the centerline means your boom will always be at least a little below center.
winner.

the model (VPP) assumes optimal foil trim when calculating boat speeds (and ratings) for wind speed/angle combinations. This is guaranteed to be sub-optimal in pure upwind mode because in most racing wind speeds, the boom needs be on the centerline for optimal trim. The lack of traveler assures that cannot happen.

Nov 8, 2010
Nowhere to sit for the helmsman. This seems to be true for all the new pricey sailboats, and one reason why I wouldn’t trade my Bella Zee in for any of them.
where do you sit where you can see your headsail telltails?? Surely not behind your wheel.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
where do you sit where you can see your headsail telltails?? Surely not behind your wheel.
I agree that for performance sailing the bench on the First looks adequate. But the ergonomics don’t look very good for getting to and from the race course, or getting to wherever you’re going with those toys in the garage.

I was also at the Annapolis show this year and it seemed like most boats were designed without comfort at the helm in mind. The First isn’t so bad from a racing standpoint, but many other models, even ones that were designed well in front of the helm, really had no comfortable place to drive.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The wheel is large enough for me to sit as far to port or starboard as possible, facing forward, with a cushion at my back, and still have a hand on the wheel. Modern designs have nowhere to sit facing forward and no back rest.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
The wheel is large enough for me to sit as far to port or starboard as possible, facing forward, with a cushion at my back, and still have a hand on the wheel. Modern designs have nowhere to sit facing forward and no back rest.
Tell your captain and crew if they want seat cushions to find some other gig. ;)

This is obviously a day sailer, owners arent spending more than a couple days a year on board.