First world problems

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
My poor wife cannot stop complaining about the neighboring boat's AC seawater pump's constant flow.
A babbling brook, albeit a constant brook. The ambient temperature is fabulous, but the boat still requires a cooler temp.

I can't wait to find out the effects of her complaints tomorrow. LOL

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
As long as my AC units have power and are switched on, my babbling brook runs.
The AC compressor being on and cooling/heating has nothing to do with the babbling brook.
Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mine only runs when the compressor is on.. but that is why most folks put the water outlet as close to the waterline as they are comfortable with.. I installed mine with the boat in the water it was a bit, uuhhhh, "tightening" when I drilled through after a lot of careful measurement and didn't have a problem.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Could be the answer to all her problems. :biggrin:
Yah, this brook is about 4 inches off the waterline.
.View attachment 141337
That doesn't look too egregious.

People pay big money and have to sometimes trek long distances to experience a beautiful waterfall. Honeymooners used to flock to Niagra Falls.

Now, such sounds are considered a nuisance. We are all fortunate if this is our worst problem.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not a suggestion, but I wonder what happens if a stray wine cork somehow gets stuck in the outlet of one of those impromptu waterfall spouts.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Mine only runs when the compressor is on
I should have clarified.
I have 2 AC units on same cooling water pump, and the newest Dometic unit runs the fan 24/7.

My refrigerator cooling water is compressor controlled.
Jim...

PS: So I have 3 babbling brooks.:rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not a suggestion, but I wonder what happens if a stray wine cork somehow gets stuck in the outlet of one of those impromptu waterfall spouts.
Unsupervised testing of bilge pumps usually results in testing insurance efficacy.

Feb 20, 2011
That'd be one big-a$$ cork. 1.5 inches if not bigger.
Niagara Falls! Slowly I turned...

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
I think if you look you can change all of those settings on your unit -- about when the water does and does not run and whether the fan stays on or off when the unit is not actively heating or cooling.

Feb 20, 2011
I think if you look you can change all of those settings on your unit -- about when the water does and does not run and whether the fan stays on or off when the unit is not actively heating or cooling.
The pump does shut down for about 4 minutes every half hour or so when it's cool outside.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hang it over the side... just don't fall in. There is supposed to be a MOB problem with that.

Feb 20, 2011
Almost had a first-world problem myself. Sticky AC compressor or corrosion in the thermostat's battery compartment. Durned thing seems to have fixed itself.
Ahh, marina life. Sailed my IP yesterday in about 15-20 kts of breeze, 1.5 meter swells with a period of about 2 seconds. The bashing seems to have freed up my knot meter!

20170928_155646.jpg