First Weekend in the Water, First Sail and Lots of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
A note on engine starting procedure.

If you have to crank more then say 20 seconds without the engine catching you may risk getting water back flowing into your engine from your exhaust system.
If your engine requires lots of cranking it is a good idea to leave the cooling water valve closed until the engine kicks over.
The instructions given above for engine starting are fine for an engine that starts right up.
You would be well advised to find out why she is not starting right up as it should.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Re: First Weekend in the Water, First Sail and Lots of Quest

If you go to fishing tackle shop they will sell it to you by the yard. $20 will get you about 2000 yds. Chances are they give you what you need for free.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
JK

A little off topic but how do you like Hingham Ship Yards? They've done a beautiful job with it. My wife and I have eaten at Alma Nova and enjoy the Red Mango and Patriot Cinemas. There is a great Indian restaurant across 3A, Punjab's if you like Indian. My dad had a boat there in the 90's, I remember the BayClub and if memory serves correct the currents can make it tough getting into your slip.

When we bought our boat we tried to get a mooring in Scituate but it was a 15 year wait. This will be our 4th season when we launch. If I can find enough time I hope to get through the canal and sail the bay side. If we're real lucky I might make it up there for a night but it will take an extended weekend to do that.
Bob S

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We like Hingham a lot. There are some really good people that work at the marina. It seems like the owners might not be boating people (the rumor is they bought the marina as an investment and they don't boat) and they will make decisions sometimes that will get people at the dock made. Like charging based on what size boat you can fit in the slip instead of the size boat you have. But usually you just talk to one of the good people and they take care of it. Last year one of the people yelled at a group of us that stopped a boat from sinking at the dock. He said we should have let it sink and let the owner's insurance deal with it. But they also do a lot of appreciation stuff like bringing in authors for book nights and having cook outs.

The currents can be a bit tricky. We are on the old Landfall Marina pier. We like it that way better then the new piers in front of all the development. The current is less at the new piers but they are concrete instead of wood and the people on them don't seem to socialize as much as on our dock. The cost is $20 cheaper a foot where we are too.

I am mixed on the development near the marina. Like you said Marky Mark's place is nice but the Beer Works is out of place ascetically. And the first year that the bed bath and beyond store was in they kept the sign light all night and that bothered me. The Asian place is really good too.

I think this year might be a little busy with all of the restaurants being open.

The biggest thing is I really like the sailing and boating in the area. There are a couple of good spots to drop the hook and go for a swim or hang out for lunch. The Hull Gut is really challenging to sail in and out of so it has made me become a better sailor to go through it. We have a lot of good weekend cruise spots we can go to, including P-Town (only about an 8 hour sail). Or just sail out to watch the whales.

If you are going to make it up, send me a PM and we'll have you over for cocktails.

Jun 7, 2004
- - San Francisco
Sticking furler

If your 310 is older than 2004, the Shaefer furler is likely the type without the flushing hole in the drum. It is easy to spot the old type. The drum the furling line wraps around is solid. The new type has a fairly large hole to squirt water into. The old type gets a salt build up over time and doesn't furl smoothly. To fix it you need to order a drum kit from Shaefer ($140). The kit has new bearings and a drum with the flushing hole.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River

Can a flushing hole be drilled? Where is it located, pic anyone? Any other design changes? My 2001 still works great, would like to keep it that way, holes are cheep, rebuild kits are expensive.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA

I was able to fix the roller furler this weekend, I think (knock on wood). kjoho was correct, no flushing hole on my 2001 unit. However, you can come at it form underneath, where the unit attaches to the stay. First I flushed it with water with little luck. Then I hit it with wd40 and that seemed to have done the trick. We will see for shore this weekend when we start the relocation cruise.

We also go to sail with the mainsail and jib for the first time. Wow, this boat sails great. I can't wait for the warmer weather.

Jun 7, 2004
- - San Francisco
Furler

The rigger took 1.5 hours to change out the drum so the cost isn't so bad. I inspected the old drum and was really surprised how much damage the salt had done and I am very careful to hose down the furler after each sail. I guess the degradation is slow enough over time that I got used to it. Furling the new drum is so much easier than the old one. Well worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.