First Weekend in the Water, First Sail and Lots of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hello all. Our new to us 310 got splashed on Thursday. :dance:

We spent Friday setting everything up and completing the renaming ceremony. We had 10 people on the boat for the ceremony (including my 86 year old Grandfather) and could not believe the amount of room we still had. We spent the night on the boat Friday and Saturday.

We took our first sail on Saturday and absolutely love the boat. We couldn't be happier with our choice.

Now for all the questions that I have:

1) Could someone please explain the engine starting procedure they follow (talking very basic level, this is my first desiel and I want to be sure I am doing it correct).

2) The PO said he changed the oil in the fall when he winterized the boat, but when I checked the oil this weekend, after running it for a few minutes, it looks black and watery compared to car engine oil. Is there something wrong? Should I change the oil again?

3) Our boat came with a factory dutchman system. The PO rigged the dutchman's adjustable line (rope) from the end of the boom to the top of the mast on the topping lift. Is that correct?

4) On of the mono-filament lines for the dutchman broke (not surprised, it was bad when we did the inspection) does anyone know the lengths of the two mono-filament lines and a cheap source for replacement line?

5) My roller furler is sticking. I am not sure if there is some salt build up inside that needs to be flushed or if the bearings need to be greased. To furl the sail we had to put the line on the winch and really crank it in. It wasn't smooth and came in with quick jerks rather than a smooth furl. Has anyone else had this happen?

Everything else about the boat is great. The people at the dock confirmed my theory that the PO used the boat more as a condo on the water then a sailboat and didn't leave the dock much. That is fine with me, less wear and tear on the boat.

Thanks to anyone who can help with these questions.

Can't wait for this weekend.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Re: First Weekend in the Water, First Sail and Lots of Quest

The procedure to start the engine is simple. Make sure your intake seacock is open and your battery switch is positioned on the starting battery. Advance the throttle some and turn on the key. If it is cold out, you might have a glow plug switch or button to push for about 20 seconds and then push the start button until the engine starts. Look out the back to make sure that the exhaust is spitting out water which suggests the cooling system is cycling properly. If no water at the exhaust, then shut down and figger it out.
Oil changes are typically done at the winterizing stage. You mentioned water in the oil? If there is water in the oil, it will be milky looking, more like a light brown. Often you will not see real clean oil after a change because the oil is being extracted by a dip stick pump, most of the time and so you don't quite get it all out like on a car where the oil drains from a pan completely. It takes some work to get it really clean, if that is your choice.
Regarding the Dutchman system, I would contact either a dealer that sells/services them close to where you sail or try the manufacturer themselves to get proper replacement parts. You proably can also find on line a diagragm and maybe even download an owner's manual if one didn't come with the boat.
What kind of roller furling unit do you have? That might help in determining the problem. Maybe you need to either clean or lubricate the bearings, or if they are shot, replace them. Or it could be another problem. You want to check aloft and make sure the upper swivel is not catching on another halyard, or something too.
Congratulations and good luck with your new summer toy.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River

Hey JK,
Engine start:
1) Turn on raw water intake.
2) Place transmission in neutral
3) Push throttle up 1/4
4) Turn key switch on (should hear beeper sounding, (if not check fuel pump shovel connector located on top of the fuel pump)
5) If cold, turn key to the spring loaded position for ~5 sec to energise the glow elements (this will also activate the fuel pump and can be confirmed by lifting the engine dog house cover and listening for a clicking sound) The engine will run for the fuel will gravity feed until ~5/8 of a full tank, then it will start cutting out if the fuel pump is not operating .
6) Push the start button

The engine should start almost immediately, at least mine does. If not, don't crank for more than 30 seconds (total crank time). If you do, raw water will collect in the muffler and could back wash into the exhaust manifold. To drain muffler you have to remove the small PITA drain plug on the back side of the muffler). If you feel it necessary to crank some more for trouble shooting, than turn the raw water sea cock off.

When you have finished motoring and want to sail, make sure you place the transmission in reverse to prevent the cone clutches in the transmission from slipping against each other causing premature wear on them from the prop turning while under sail.

Oil will turn color sooner than a gasoline engines, but viscosity should be similar to your car depending on what grade oil was used.

That is the normal way to rig a Dutchman, don't know the line lengths, take them down and measure them.

Pull down the head sail and inspect the head, wash it out with fresh water and make sure it spins freely. I use some dry DuPont Teflon spray on the ball bearing, not sure you can buy it anymore, don't use any oil. If you don't have enough halyard tension, the halyard may have wrapped around the fore stay. This will make pulling the sail down impossible until you can get the wrap unwound.
Cheers and good sailing!!
WE

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA

If you go to the Dutchman website http://www.mvbinfo.com/company.php and read the install manual there, there is a paragraph in there that tells you how to get new monofilament (enough for both) for the price of shipping. I did this late last year, and I recall it was $5.00. The install instructions will also help you adjust the system.

Regards,

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA

I just went to the site I recommended, and you may have to buy the monofilament. The "free offer" is not in the owner's manual any more. The good news is it will only cost you about $20.00. Sorry for the confusion.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

goblin

Sep 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Pottsboro Tx

Re: dutchman monofiliment, I used smooth, white .155 trimmer (weedeater) line from the local lawnmower shop & it's been up for at least 5 years. Was less than $5. for 100 feet.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA

Paulj,
Been there, done that (why won't the engine start...dohh operator error). My SOP is to always push the stop handle back down after stopping the engine.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
My $0.02

... Now for all the questions that I have:

1) Could someone please explain the engine starting procedure they follow (talking very basic level, this is my first desiel and I want to be sure I am doing it correct).

PaulJ's suggestion about the stop switch was good. First off store your key on the engine thru hull handle so you always remember to open the thru hull (I know PaulJ meant to say that but he was probably busy). If it is pretty cold out you may want to hit the glow plugs for 15 seconds by taking the start key and holding it in the spring loaded position. Then let the key go to the run position and then hit the start button.

2) The PO said he changed the oil in the fall when he winterized the boat, but when I checked the oil this weekend, after running it for a few minutes, it looks black and watery compared to car engine oil. Is there something wrong? Should I change the oil again?

Because of blow by in the cylinders the oil will turn black pretty quick (perhaps just a few minutes) and it does seem pretty thin, but unless you see a milky coloring in the oil you are OK.

3) Our boat came with a factory dutchman system. The PO rigged the dutchman's adjustable line (rope) from the end of the boom to the top of the mast on the topping lift. Is that correct?

That sounds correct. You can adjust it up and down with the end with the cam cleat set up at the end of the boom. One thing to remember is you don't want the line too tight - got that tip from the Dutchman guy at last years Annapolis show.

4) On of the mono-filament lines for the dutchman broke (not surprised, it was bad when we did the inspection) does anyone know the lengths of the two mono-filament lines and a cheap source for replacement line?

Go to Ace Hardware or one like that. I use .105 diameter line which is fine. I think a roll of a couple hundred feet was $3. If you are hitting Lowe's or Home Depot you may have to settle with red or lime green line, or at least that was my dilemma until I went to Ace and found the clear smooth line.

5) My roller furler is sticking. I am not sure if there is some salt build up inside that needs to be flushed or if the bearings need to be greased. To furl the sail we had to put the line on the winch and really crank it in. It wasn't smooth and came in with quick jerks rather than a smooth furl. Has anyone else had this happen?

Probably just need to rinse it out as it is probably got some salt in it. Do not use great as I don't think that will work. Of course you could always RFTM (some day I need to explain that term to PaulJ) and follow those directions.
A quick shout out to PaulJ. I had to adjust my AP rudder sensor this weekend but I still love the design.:hijacked:

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks for all of the response

I have one other question. Where do you tie off the boom end of the single line reefing? On my last boat, it just came straight down from reef point and tied around the boom. But with the full luff tape on the foot of the sail, that doesn't work.

Thanks again.

JK

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA

The line for the jiffy reefing should pass through the boom, around a sheave in the end of the boom, up and through the grommet in the sail and then is tied onto the boom. A bowline works fine here. The forward part of the line should lead up from the sheave in the boom near the gooseneck, through the grommet in the sail, and back down to the fairlead on the mast, and from there to the cockpit.
If you want to check out my boat, she is at the Town River Yacht Club, along with another Catalina. See you on the water!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Tom,

Thank you for the offer. I would like to take you up on the offer sometime. Good to know there is another C310 in the area. We will be keeping ours at Hingham Ship Yard.

How you described it is how I set it up but I just wanted to check that was correct.

Thanks,

JK

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
paulj said:
JK_Boston_Catalina310

Do you have a Catalina 310 manual?

Use one one boat and keep copy at home or on your computer.
I have it in PDF format if anyone needs it.

Is there a jiffy reef schematic in there? I couldn't find it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have the manual, a pdf and a hard copy, but there is not schematic of where to tie off the reefing line.

On my C&C the mainsail had slugs for the foot (not the luff tape the C310 has) and you could have the line come straight down from the reef point to the boom. This would pull the mainsail down and back when reefed.

For the C310 I had to tie the point back, behind the end to the mainsail. This will more more back then down when I reef. So I just wanted to make sure I had this correct.

With the tie off point so far back, why not just tie off to the reef point with a bowline? It would give you the same bulling direction and force.

Hopefully the wind will be light enough one day this weekend so that I can play around with the reefing at the dock. (Did I really just say that:confused:, ugh, I never hope for light wind)

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY

A note on engine starting procedure.

If you have to crank more then say 20 seconds without the engine catching you may risk getting water back flowing into your engine from your exhaust system.
If your engine requires lots of cranking it is a good idea to leave the cooling water valve closed until the engine kicks over.
The instructions given above for engine starting are fine for an engine that starts right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.