First Weekend as a Widgeon Owner

Aug 7, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Aurora Reservoir
So, I bought my 1973 Widgeon on Thursday morning, hauled it home, worked a few hours and then rigged it in the driveway that evening. Was a little confused about the some of the rigging on the boom and the back end of the boat, but called it good. Friday afternoon I headed to the reservoir and my disaster of a first "sail" began.

Took what seemed like forever to rig it up again in the parking lot. One of the stays didn't want to reach to connect. I think the boat was sitting a little crooked. Not sure what else would have caused it as I didn't have any problem with that the night before. Rigged up something that I thought might work on the boom and around the transom and headed for the ramp.

I hadn't practiced backing the trailer (something I'd never done before), so I spent an eternity on the boat ramp even with a more helpful than she should have been park ranger. Got the boat in the water finally and beached it beside the dock to go park the truck and trailer. Came back to a boat with some water in it, but wasn't overly concerned. Hopped in and the wind was working against me just pushing me right into the beach and a dock that separated the boat ramp from the swimming area. Couldn't get it out of there to save my life since I don't have any kind of motor on the boat. Did have a paddle, but it wasn't enough to get the job done. The boom didn't want to stay up and in position either.

Finally decided I wasn't ready for this. Beached the boat again (which now had more water in it than I was comfortable with), and headed for the truck. Backing the small, empty trailer was even more difficult that backing the boat. A new ranger was working the ramp this time and he had to pick up and reposition my trailer three times as I made my way down the ramp. Got the boat to the trailer and I wasn't in the water far enough, so was struggling to get the boat back on. Another guy on the ramp came over to help, held the boat while I backed the trailer more and then made sure I had it hooked on before going back to his own boat.

I dragged it back to the parking lot to start de-rigging. Realized then that I had left out one of two plugs on the boat, which explained the water. A guy strapping down his kayak came over to say that he bet my little sailboat would be a lot of fun. I admitted that it wasn't much fun that day, but he was very encouraging and even mentioned he'd love to tag along sometime if he ever got the chance.

I was busy all day Saturday, so I went back out this morning, hooked up the boat and trailer and headed for a big empty parking lot where I could practice backing between two plastic containers of gear that's usually in the back of the truck. Felt like I got a handle on backing (at least with the boat on the trailer), so went to drop it back in my paid storage spot only to find that someone had parked their truck and empty trailer there since the regular lot was full. The staff guided me to an empty spot and I left the boat there for the time being. Went back out tonight after most people had gone home for the day and moved the boat back to its rightful spot.

I had almost two hours before I had to be out of the park, so I decide to rig it up again. Had found a few more pictures and diagrams (thanks to this forum) that provided a clear look at my trouble spots. Surprisingly, it all just came together. And in no time I had what appeared to me anyway to be a correctly rigged boat. The sun was setting in the background and a gentle breeze was blowing, so I climbed in and just sat there and imagined that my boat was in the water instead of a dirt parking lot.

I must have looked insane to the few people who were still exiting the park at that point. But I took 10 minutes or so to just sit there in the boat and enjoy a small success. I still haven't really sailed her yet, but I think I took a big step forward today.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@Kyle Partain

It looks like you have the makings of a great sailor - persistence is key :)

Looking at your picture I’m not sure you have the mainsheet quite right yet and I’m not sure if the jib sheets run “outside” of the shrouds.

There are a number of Widgeon threads here on SBO but this one shows the mainsheet path and the way the jib sheets are routed.

Aug 7, 2020
Hunter216,

Thanks for the comments. The jib lines outside the shrouds looked odd to me, but that was how it was done on the Catalina Capri that I took some sailing lessons on last summer, so that was how I did it. I just assumed that was the way it was done on all of these small boats.

I look more closely at the mainsheet as well.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hunter216,

Thanks for the comments. The jib lines outside the shrouds looked odd to me, but that was how it was done on the Catalina Capri that I took some sailing lessons on last summer, so that was how I did it. I just assumed that was the way it was done on all of these small boats.

I look more closely at the mainsheet as well.
The jib sheets may be correct as you have them. Rigging is consistently - inconsistent:)
You will know soon when you get on the water sailing. When you tighten the sheet and find it rubs on the shroud you will know it’s on the wrong side - easy fix to switch it.

The main is much more important as you want to be able to draw in the boom but also have it run out freely if you get overpowered.
I didn’t see a topping lift but that might be a good add on as it will keep the boom out of the cockpit when you drop the main.

Assuming you had a topping lift you could rig the boom without raising the sail. Figure out how to rig the mainsheet on land to ensure you have full range of motion of the boom.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Hard to be sure from picture, but it looks like you have the Main sheet rigged about right, jib sheets do go INSIDE the shrouds, not outside, common mistake.
IMG_2004.JPG

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My first day on my Bandit 15 I lost the halyard tail up the mast, launched with the plug out hence nearly sinking and probably a few other mistakes. First sails are always like that. At least you haven't tipped it over - yet.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Oh, and sailing off a lee shore. Not easy! Until you get the foils down it's ridiculous. Did you have the jib up? With just the main the boat will like heading into the wind. It's good to devise a way to hold the tiller midships until you get in. I've done it many, many times and it's rarely smooth.

Aug 7, 2020
Thanks for all the support. Have bought a trolling motor since the original post, and that certainly makes it easier to get away from the boat ramp in a fashion that doesn't scare everyone around me. Virtually no wind on my last outing, but it was nice to just motor to the middle of the reservoir, turn off the engine and float for a while. A lot more relaxing than the first outing described above.

Sep 23, 2020
O'Day Widgeon local lakes
Hi Kyle, I'm also a new Widgeon owner in Colorado. Mine is a '78. I bought it on Sept 14, and have been out on Cherry Creek & Union Reservoirs so far. Maybe I'll see you out on the lakes one day.

-Greg