first trip to Catalina

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
there is an old saying about playing in 'big water', 'minimum 20', and if you can afford it, 30' minimum.

just saying, everyone has heard this and gets it.

yet one or two will do less and be fine. well , OK. well, they claim they're OK. well, ......................................................... not for me, but post pictures. we like pictures. :cool:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The OP did not report his experience level. After I shipped my Pearson 30 to Long Beach from FL where we had sailed for 11 yr the SW coast of FL, it was about a year of sailing along the coast of Southern California b/f we went across to Avalon, and even then we took with us an experienced cruising couple who had made the crossing in their own boat. It was in February, light rain going over with SE wind about 10 kt on a south southwesterly course. Overly cautious? Not in my opinion. I call it preparation.
FEBRUARY ....!! hmmm... and mama in her kerchief and I in my hat......in February we're still looking at 3 more months under the winter cover....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There truly is year-round sailing and cruising here in Southern California. Maybe not every week of each season; we do have to watch the weather, of course. But there is always opportunity. The same might be said of SW FL, but in my opinion the off-season here, which is winter offers generally better sailing than the off-season there, which is summer.