First time winterizing 2009 B37

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
I think I know what to do to winterize the engine, but........for the first time, I will be winterizing the water system and the air conditioner. On my previous Beneteau (1992 B38s5), I knew where to drain the water system at a water manifold under the floor board. Not sure where to do it on this boat.... Also, as for the CruisAire HVAC system, I assume I can disconnect the water intake at the thru hull, and suck red pop thru the a/c pump until it runs red outside? Any info on both systems would be appreciated.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have the CruiseAir system too. That will do it.
A PO of Bella installed tees on the intake side of the engine and the AC, so I don't have to undo any thru-hull hoses. Just flip a couple valves. Handy!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Correct on the AC. If you have a condensate pump be sure to winterize that as well by pouring some AF in the condensate pan under the coils and letting it get pumped through to the outlet.
For the water system, the manifold is under the port setee. The following is what works for us on our 2014. There might be more efficient ways but this seems to get the job done without any chance of leaving water anywhere. We start by running all water out of both tanks through the faucets. Then we drain the water heater. To do that we open the pressure relief valve, and use an air compressor to blow air backwards from the head faucet hose through the hot water lines. All of the water blows out through the relief valve and is led through a hose to the bilge. We have a separate hose that we connect to that one to take the water up and out the galley sink drain instead of just putting it all in the bilge. If you have a water heater bypass that’s the time to use it (but we don’t). Then we pour a couple gallons of AF in one of the tanks, disconnect the output of the water pump, and let it pump until there is AF coming out of the pump. Then reattach the pump output to the plumbing and run more AF through to all of the hot and cold faucets including the cockpit shower. After that just put a little more AF in the other tank, disconnect the pump again, and get pink from the second tank.

Also be sure to winterize the head intake (or run AF through it if it’s a fresh water flush). Pour some more in the shower sump and bilge for the manual and automatic pumps.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
One of the things I learned this past Fall was that the HVAC water pump is not self-priming, so I had to hold the disconnected output hose at the air conditioning sea-strainer up high, and pour the red pop into a funnel so that gravity fed it to the pump.

I'm a little worried that I did not winterize the Quick hot water boiler well enough, and I want to figure out a fool-proof way to winterize it in the Fall of 2020. All the connections are at the "top" of the boiler, and the angle that it is mounted, with the top being the higher end, doesn't seem to make it possible to simply drain it, like I could on my previous Beneteau.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Correct on the AC. If you have a condensate pump be sure to winterize that as well by pouring some AF in the condensate pan under the coils and letting it get pumped through to the outlet.
For the water system, the manifold is under the port setee. The following is what works for us on our 2014. There might be more efficient ways but this seems to get the job done without any chance of leaving water anywhere. We start by running all water out of both tanks through the faucets. Then we drain the water heater. To do that we open the pressure relief valve, and use an air compressor to blow air backwards from the head faucet hose through the hot water lines. All of the water blows out through the relief valve and is led through a hose to the bilge. We have a separate hose that we connect to that one to take the water up and out the galley sink drain instead of just putting it all in the bilge. If you have a water heater bypass that’s the time to use it (but we don’t). Then we pour a couple gallons of AF in one of the tanks, disconnect the output of the water pump, and let it pump until there is AF coming out of the pump. Then reattach the pump output to the plumbing and run more AF through to all of the hot and cold faucets including the cockpit shower. After that just put a little more AF in the other tank, disconnect the pump again, and get pink from the second tank.

Also be sure to winterize the head intake (or run AF through it if it’s a fresh water flush). Pour some more in the shower sump and bilge for the manual and automatic pumps.
I'm tardy in saying "Thanks" for the info. Will try it this coming Fall!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm tardy in saying "Thanks" for the info. Will try it this coming Fall!
:thumbup: I think you’ll find the pressure relief on the tank is the best way to drain it. The relief lever on ours has a flat spot on the cam so it will stay open while you work.

I also forgot to mention in my original write-up - the thermostatic mixing valve on top of the heater needs to be winterized too. There is a small screw on it that you can loosen, and let antifreeze out of to purge any water.