First time topside paint job

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Hey thanks all! Tom I like your two colors. I see on the kiwi website you can get the white tinted. I kind of like a sea foam color but and Tom again great advise about what ever I choose I’ll need to live with it for at least ten years. Has anyone on here gotten their kiwi paint tinted?
According to the kiwi paint website I won’t need to prime as this is so think. But I still need to sand. I’m really looking forward to this.
Thanks.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
PS Tell me about your windlass. I have been trying to find a way to add a windlass to my H31.
Chip, The paint job held up well for about five years. I just repainted last spring. The thing about the single part is it’s someSy to touch up.

As to the windlass, it is mechanical, turned by a winch handle. Frankly, I have never tried to use it. Where I anchor it is so shallow it is no problem just using my hands to pull in the rhode. Sorry I’m not more help there.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So thoughts on Semi Gloss White vs Gloss white on deck house and deck that isn't non-skid?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
So thoughts on Semi Gloss White vs Gloss white on deck house and deck that isn't non-skid?
I used the Interlux Brightside White, it is a high gloss paint. I have really enjoyed it, It keeps it shine for a long time. They have a flatner you can use to tone the gloss down. But I really like it SHINY!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well thank you Joe! The cheapest I’ve found so far is $149 for the gallon plus $17 shipping on defend. It’s $159 on amazon prime with $13 tax and $149 on West Marine but haven’t set up account so don’t know what shipping is. EBay is terriblely expensive.
I’ll keep looking. My wife says every sailboat we see is either cream or grey. She says she likes the light blue they offer, but I worry light blue will make it look dated. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again
Mike
Mike..... did you check the company I mentioned in the previous post? $139.45/gal includes shipping!!!

You don't have to set up an account.... just order as a guest.... to determine shipping... proceed to checkout for final amount. Just don't enter payment info. Note: Defender often inserts their final discount in the shopping cart area... always check it out.. for tax and shipping also.... all this must be disclosed before you enter any financial info.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Mike..... did you check the company I mentioned in the previous post? $139.45/gal includes shipping!!!
Hi Joe
I actually found it for $119 and West Marine will match and West Marine doesn’t charge for shipping past $50. Thanks
Mike