first time sailboat buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcomer

After having attended sailing school and selling my power boat, i am interested in a used 29-32'. I love the lines, craftsmanship, and reputation of Beneteau. As someone starting out in sailing, is a 30-32 footer to much to handle at the onset? Can she be sailed solo if need be? What should i be looking for in a used craft.. ie.. obviously a lot is tied to the age and the maintenance. How often are boats re-fitted with sails... what are the costly upkeeps? Are the small diesels good for many years? What else should i be asking?? I've been scouting "yachtworld" for boats... not many for sale in the NE. any recommendations for other sights to explore? Lastly...is there any other brand of sailboat that fairly competes with Beneteau?? Thanks for any and all help...

I

Ivan Edwards

First 285

Started 2 years ago with a 1990 Beneteau First 285, sailing on the NC coast. Easy to single hand, if you have roller furling and auto pilot. 18 hp Volvo Diesel is reliable. A lot of catch-up on maintenance has cost a lot. At 12 year old, there are a bunch of maintenance items that come due... Replace headliner Replace engine exhaust/cooling systems Replace engine motor mounts Cutlass bearing Through hulls Instruments Standing rigging so beware.... See the maintenance records for the boat. Recommendation: buy new...

W

wm frech

Beneteau 281 Excellent Choice

Look at this boat as a good starter...Suggest auto pilot if single handing...About 250 built in the USA and about 500 built in France...Roller furling a must.

R

Ray

I was in the same place two years ago and...

I took a year to try out and finally picked the Hunter 306 with furled main. I sailed it weekly for two years, year'round. It was a jewel. Easy to control single handed, very nice cockpit and below, very well made...I had absolutely NO problems. And, I was happy to discover, it was fast. I won several local yacht club races. I love that boat. If you can find one...they've only been out a few years...get it. It's going to be a classic.

W

Wanda

Ditto on the 306

My husband and I bought a Hunter 306 last year, our first sailboat. I agree with Ray. I like the opened transome for the kids to get in and out of the water. Lots of room and even I can sail it. Its a very pretty boat outside and in. Lot's of compliments from other sailors.

M

Mike

My first was also a H306

I have been delighted with my Hunter 306 (2002) and have over a year and a half taken more than 70 passengers ( a few at a time ) for sails in the bay and in the Gulf of Mexico. It is good looking, fast, easy to sail and has all the comforts of a cruiser. It was a perfect choice for us. I have the furled main, which I recommend if you solo sail and if winds are high or quirky...you have infinite reefing ability in about 1 minute. Effortless. Nicely appointed, roomy...a great value. I'd do it again.

B

Bill lowe

Another vote for the 281

I bought my 1995 Oceanis 281 (28.5'LOA) last year. It has the foller furling genoa and main. I single hand most of the time and when my wife joins me, her main job is to bring refreshments from below and sightsee or read. She gets testy if she has to get too involved in line handling and then I have to fetch my own refreshments. The only major (over $500) expenses have been having the below decks cushions reUpholstered, and the sails cleaned with new uv protection added to the genoa and main. The 16hp Perkins diesel is smooth, reliable and quiet. It is a great boat.

P

Paul

Go big or go home...

Once you've been bitten.... I say go for the boat you will eventually end up with. I wasted no time with my first boat and went for a 36'. It will cost you less in the long run. Like you, I went to school for 3 yrs and ate up everything relating to sailing. It makes sense to get it right the first time and buy the biggest friggin boat you can afford. As far as single handed...I learned on 24' Sharks and then took my boat out by myself (without autohelm) and sailed her without any issues. Go big, or go home brother!

C

Charlie

...as to going big...first

There's something to the argument about buying the "end" boat at the beginning...there is a loss in each trade that could be avoided. The thing is though that it is difficult to KNOW what the end boats going to be if you don't have some other boats to teach you. I learned something important on each of the two boats I had before I got the "end" boat...which may not be the "end" boat after a few years of more learning. And life changes factors. Most important step: GET SOME BOAT NOW. Its summer already! In the long run, you'll be dead.

J

John Kosmalski

First 310 has been great for us.

Although my 310 was not my first sailboat, I can tell you that it is pretty easy to singlehand, with maybe the exception of docking in high wind conditions. The boat is rather light and it is always helpful to have an extra hand. That said , I don't go out alone if I know it may be a problem. To singlehand you will want an autopilot and head sail furling, and maybe lazyjacks for the main. I also can single hand my assymetrical spinnaker by using an ATN sock, but jibing is a little tricky. As to accomodations, the 310 is plenty for an adult couple and one child. Beyond that I wouldn't use it for overnight stays. The boat is a great performer especially in light air , and lots of fun to sail. It has a spacious cockpit and we easily get 8 people in it for a nice afternoon sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.