First time sailboat buyer - 27 or 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2010
Catalina C30 or C27 Buffalo, NY
Well, here we go. My wife and I have talked about it for a couple years and now's the time to start looking for a boat for the spring (in Buffalo, NY). Here's our story for starters...We've had motorboats since we've both been kids. Every size from 14' MFG to our last motorboat - 29' Chaparral Signature, twin drives. Our 3 kids (and friends) have always wake boarded, fished, water ski'd, gone tubing, and the rest. We've loved staying overnight at marinas or our summer dock a lot too. And my wife and I have enjoyed taking 100 mile runs to nearby cities for weekends. We sold the Chaparral 5 years ago to put our two daughters through college. Now, we're yearning to get back into boating, but wait! My wife and I are more than just a little interested in considering a sail boat for the first time in our boating lives (I'm 55 years old). We consider ourselves very comfortable on boats and our total extent of boating has been on Lake Erie. That's where we'll have our sailboat too.

As you can imagine, our questions are limitless...
Will we like the 'slower-speed' style of boating with sails?
A trip that would take us 3 hours - going 30 mph will take 12 or more (I'm guessing) by sailboat.
Although we are both confident in our abilities on the water, do we have what it takes to sail? (I think we do).
And of course, we know all too well the issues related to buying a 'motor boat' that's always "2 feet too small"! It's a common joke at least on our dock that everyone gets 'foot-i-tis' every couple years to upgrade to a larger boat. I think that's how we ended up with a 29 foot, twin engine cruiser. Thank god the kids went to college or I'd probably have spent my retirement money on the 'next' larger boat by now.

Anyway, we're really sure that we want to take the plunge into sailboating even though all our motorboat friends on the dock think we're crazy. Again, I think you can imagine the comments we've been getting. No offense.

We've been at a boat show in Baltimore and read a lot of articles on 27 and 30 foot boats and I think we've narrowed our choice down to either the Catalina 27 or the 30. The problem I have now is, I don't know how to make the decision on which one. For example, I'd hate to buy the 27 and then next year say 'darn, I wish we would have started with the 30'. On the other hand, I kind of like the lower cost of the 27.

We've tried to think of what we'll be doing with the boat which might help you help us decide:
No more water sports; tubing, wake boarding, etc.
Probably, we will be sailing 95 percent by ourselves - my wife and me.
We used to like taking our boat to other destinations but quite frankly, the Buffalo NY shore of Lake Erie has not seen the changes that other Cities have moved forward with. Simply put, there's not a lot of places to stop off at. Most of our rides on the motorboat were to go out into the lake, shut off the engines and enjoy the quiet.
My wife and I are also excited about actually learning new skills associated with sailing.
Here's the funny thing. We've never actually been on a sailboat except for the 14 footers when on vacation.

So what do you think? This is my first post on this message board so I'm happy I found it and am looking forward to getting great advice once we purchase.

Thanks for reading,

Wayne

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good choices to have. Both are great boats. Avoid the foot-i-tis, get the 30, you'll never regret it.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
3 feet doesn't sound like much but a catalina 30 is worlds apart from a 27. wider beam very comfortable salon and very easy to handle. My friends catalina 30 is as easy to handle as my c 22 swing keel. assuming you won't be trailering.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
The advantage to the 27 is that it is towable. Which means less expensive storage including posibility of mast-up storage. The ability to take to many ports widening your sailing experience unless you plan on cruising and living aboard. Then for all the reasons stated above go with the 30 especially for the wider beam.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Many C25 owners have made the point that the interiors of the C27 is no larger than a C25 because of the lazarette aft on the C27, so in reality, your C30 would be 5 feet bigger inside than a C27! Gotta love that kinda "math!"

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I was faced with that decision 2 years ago only we had no boating experience. My wife and I looked at both the C27, C28 & C30. With us it was more about the money. Could we afford the C30? How old? What kind of options? There was no question after boarding each boat that the room in the 30 was my wife's favorite. I suggest you physically board each and search yachtworld.com for pricing near you.

We ended up with the 30 and I love it. I'm still learning. This site has been a wonderful resource for us. I'm sure you'll agree the more you frequent it.
Good Luck

BTW she want's a C34 now..... foot i tus setting in :doh:

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 27 Stone Harbor NJ
Wayne,

I'm a 27 owner and I'm going to stick up for the 27. Yes, I know all about "two foot-itis" as I've had a bad case of it since I was 14 years old and bought my first sailboat. But there were some things that you said that make me think a 27 might be just right for you.

You said you'd probably sail with just your wife 95% of the time. The 27 is plenty big enough for a couple to enjoy while daysailing or weekending.

You said the lower cost of the 27 was appealing. 30s are noticeably more expensive.

You said you got to the point where you used the power boat to get out on the lake, shut the engine off, and enjoy the quiet. Again, the 27 is more than capable of serving that purpose.

The biggest advantage of the 30 is additional size/volume (which it doesn't sound like you really need). Its biggest disadvantage is cost (which, again, it doesn't sound like you really want.)

I've owned my 27 for 10 years and I still love it. When I bought the boat it was just my wife and I. We daysailed it primarily, and did a few overnights/weekends. In the last six years our three kids have arrived on the scene so we've used the boat less (but still around 25 daysails per season). For us, daysailing with the three kids plus two of the grandparents, the 27 still serves us admirably well.

Now, here's where it gets tricky: predicting your usage well into the future. I can tell already that my two oldest ones (now 5 & 3) love sailing and are going to want to do some overnighting/weekending in the future. That's were the 27 will start to feel tight for us. Although it is roomy (for a 27 footer), it's the gear--foul weather gear, clothing, an extra cooler, etc- that eat up the space. When it comes time for me to upgrade the boat, I hope to get into a 32-36 footer to hold not only the family, but all the stuff that comes along for a weekend trip too. But by the time I do that, I will have owned the 27 for (probably) 15 or more years. In my book, that means the 27 was the right choice when I bought it.

If you're going to daysail it, mostly as a couple, or with a couple of friends, the 27 is plenty of boat. If you're going to weekend it, as a couple, it's still plenty of boat. I've loved it because it has all the "big boat" stuff I wanted: inboard diesel, wheel steering, enclosed head, cooking facilities. I call it the "smallest big boat" you can buy.

If you really don't need the extra size/volume of a 30 footer, why pay more for it?

Randy

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Get the 30, I've got a 270 because I was still working and needed a "minimalist" boat because I'd rather sail than work on the boat. I'm retired now and we'll have a bigger boat by this spring, 'cause the admiral has decided to move her flag to a larger vessel and she's already jumped over my 30- 32 foot suggestion because she is going to require a "separate, truly useable indoor shower".
And you need to spend some time on bigger sailboats, personally I much prefer the ride in a sailboat.
Purchase price is nothing because it's maintaining the boat that can break you in many areas, hard to have fun on a boat if it's a burden.

Feb 12, 2004
- - Stingray Point, Va
Experience

As been said before, you have to "try the boat on" before you make a decision. Sit in the cockpit, sit in the salon, lie in the bunks, walk around topsides. Make a list of "have to have", "nice to have", "don't want". That will also help you decide on which boat is right.

I know you are in a mind set of having the boat for the upcoming season. Since you have never sailed, once the lake thaws and the boats get back in the water, I would suggest you contact a local YC or visit a sailboat freindly marina, explain what you are doing, and ask for a ride or two. Most Captains/owners will be happy to oblige, especially if you bring some drinks and snacks. It will mean a delay in the purchase, but that is better than making an expensive mistake.

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
Wayne

Are you sure you and your wife are sailors? That may be the hardest question to answer, not do I buy a 27 or a 30 foot sailboat. My wife and I sail a Catalina 22 on Henderson Bay, Lake Ontario. We have often looked at a larger boat, but are very happy with what we have. I an not telling you to purchase a C-22, but to find out first if you are a sailor or not. In our marina there are a few of us blow boaters and the rest are motor boat people. I can say without question we are very different people. One is not better than the other, just not the same. I know of very very few motorboat people that like to sail (ie would like to own one). I would go out a few times before you make the purchase. There are always lots of boats for sale, there will still be some left when you are sure that is what you want. Good luck and I hope you love sailing. It is the greatest sport on earth.

Dale

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
Wayne, there is a lot of good input here, but I advise you to follow Ken's advice of spending as much time as possible on each of these fine boats. Here's a real life example: I started with a Capri 26...I really liked that boat, but soon learned it didn't have enough headroom. The headroom was fine during the quick (and exciting) sales process, but I soon discovered that my back didn't like being bent over down below for more than a few hours.....Did anyone mention trying to spend more time on each boat? :)

The rest of the story was that I sold my Capri 26 and upgraded to the C-30 and for the past 3 years, I have been very pleased with that decision. The fact is both the C-27 and C-30 are fine (but different) boats. If you buy either in very good condition and at a good price, it shouldn't cost you much to move up again when 2 foot-itis strikes.

Enjoy the search and good luck !!!

Feb 1, 2010
catalina 1974 anna maria
I have a catalina 27 tall rig and i love it. Why don't you consider Macgregor26 ? it's both a power boat and a sailboat so you don't have to choose between powerboating and sailing. They are shallow draft and inexpensive. I know most sailors don't consider Macgregor a good sailboat, but all boating decisions are compromises, regardles..

Jan 26, 2010
Catalina C30 or C27 Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the good ideas. My wife likes the idea of a 'bigger' boat so I think we're definitely going with the 30' Catalina.

MacGregor? No thanks. I appreciate the idea, but if we're going 'sailing' then we're going sailing. We don't do anything halfway. I don't know much about that boat but just the thought of it sounds like a compromise. Reminds me of one of the first motorcycles I ever owned...1974 Honda 350CL. It was a street bike with upswept, chrome pipes. Salesman told me it was so you could take it off road. Right! Bad mistake in two ways...I listened to a salesman and I didn't try it out in the dirt before I bought it. :)

Anyway, we're getting really excited for spring to come to Buffalo NY. I can't look for sailboats online anymore for a while. I think I've looked at the same ads 10 times each. Something like this..."Hey Honey, come here and check this one out! Oh, I showed it to you before already? Sorry."

I'm going to start a new post with questions about equipment I should look for on an 'ideal' 30 Catalina for sailing Lake Erie. I know, I know. Personal preference. But that's the thing, I don't have a preference - at least not now. Heck, there's more sail options than I know the names of!

Thanks again for you help.
Wayne and Karen

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
All Catalina's are wonderful boats, but the larger the vessel the greater the interior and cockpit space and the more comfortable in heavier seas or churning lakes! I have owned two 25's and now the 30 ('88 Mark II model). I considered the 27 along the way, but we opted for more interior space and comfort and therefore, the 30 was selected. They have huge interiors thanks to the engine placement. You'll never see a large quarter berth area then on the Catalina 30. Engine excessibility? Perfect here. The 30 has a huge boat feel............if you can afford the 30, get one.

good luck

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Both are very good boats and well designed.

I really like my Catalina 30. Here is why:

Standing head room
Stiffer feel
More interior and storage room
Large V-berth for sleeping
Descent preformance
Comfortable for long cruises
Good hardware aboard

I cruise mine a lot. I have been out for two weeks at a time and it is very comfortable. It is easy to handle as I have single handed it for a long time.

True, the Catalina 30 is a bit more expensive to maintain than the 27 since it is longer and wider, but it is worth it if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.