First time fueling up

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Okay, so regarding a moisture neutralizer as a fuel additive possibly being unnecessary, how can a person tell if there's moisture in their tank? I don't have an access port on the fuel tank like I have on my water tanks. the fuel in the filter housing looks "normal." Is it simply that if my engine is running smoothly (knock on wood) that my fuel is "clean?"

Nov 24, 2012
Upgrade your filter to one that has a clear bowl - you'll see water if there is any. FYI one of the best investments I made on my B boat was to have the filter moved to the bulkhead adjacent to the front of the engine. Two benefits: I can easily observe if water is present in the fuel. Also makes changing the filter easier. It was previously located under the aft berth.

Nov 24, 2012
Captn TJ makes a good point about topping off the tank to avoid condensation. I'm in freezing country also but do not top off completely anymore. Only about 7/8. When I did top off totally, high temperatures in Spring with boat under tarp made fuel expand and spill through the fuel vent. With 7/8 full I get no condensation and no spill.
Claude

I do top it off and never had it spill (we're in freezing country also) But then it's a 30 min trip to the haul out location and I figure by the time they're done winterizing the engine between both I've probably burned off 3/4 gal.

Oct 6, 2010
Beneteau Oceanus 321 Carters Pt.
Our B 321 fuel tank vent is above the fill point.I fill from jugs also use a funnel to prevent splashing and monitor fill rate( as we are on a mooring )
When filling easy to hear vent and fill port to know when full.Also fuel log is a must hours versus Liters /galons = in our case L/hr

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Thanks again All. Capt. TJ, my fuel filter bowl already is clear so I can see the fuel through it rather clearly. Unfortunately it's still located beneath the after bunk, so getting to it is a bit of a contortionist's exercise. Moving it's location to a more easily accessible spot is now on my continuously growing list. ;)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Another option is to add the water sensor to the fuel filter. Depending on your filter, it is a replacement bowl with the sensor or a sensor that can be screwed in place of the drain port.

Not to mention that you don't need to check for water every day (unless you have plenty of it in the fuel).

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
The fuel tank on my B343 is tapered from about 10" high to about 3" at the aft end. The fuel gage is linear to the angle of the float arm. So when it reads 1/4 tank it is about 2-1/2" of fuel or about 2 gallons if that. As others have recommended, fill on engine hours rather than gage level.

May 13, 2013
Beneteau Sense 50 San diego
If you fill from a jug it can be hard not to spill. I found a cool self starting syphon from Charlie's Charts that eliminates a funnel or heavy lifting and pouring (or getting a mouthful of diesel fuel while trying to start a syphon). $12. Have transferred about 80 gallons so far without spilling a drop.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
you can also use one of the special filtering funnels (Mr. Funnel, West marine etc.). They are wide enough that you should be able to avoid any spilling.

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
you can also use one of the special filtering funnels (Mr. Funnel, West marine etc.). They are wide enough that you should be able to avoid any spilling.
I have a car transmission funnel cut by a few inches, wide opening and higher the deck. Works great