First time fueling up

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Hi All, this might seem like a silly question, but I'll be fueling up my B361 for the first time ever this weekend and want to know what to expect. When fueling the boat, does the nozzle automatically shut off when you're full like it does when you fill your car's gas tank?

I don't want to assume so, and then have a diesel fuel spill to deal with. What got me thinking about it was a dock neighbor complained that a service center put TOO MUCH diesel in his tank, which I thought was odd since I figured the fuel nozzle would automatically shut off.

Thanks so much for any response. :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You're on the right track. Do NOT use it like your car. Go SLOW. The vent on your fuel tank is LOWER than the top of the fill: check it out, so if you overfill the main hose, you'll spill it.

This might also be a great time to start a fuel log. Record how many gallons and the engine hours, keep track and you'll soon learn your fuel consumption (gallons per hour) and will reduce dependence on usually inaccurate fuel gauges.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Good points by Stu. Go slow and you might also pay attention to the sound of the fuel going down the hose. Some boats filling hose will gurgle a bit when getting close to full. That's your stop sign before it spills out of the fuel vent and the filling hose.

Last edited:
May 13, 2013
Beneteau Sense 50 San diego
... and hold a rag over the vent. The prior comments are spot on.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Wow, crimony pete! That's unfortunate. What happens if you spill a little?

good suggestion about starting a fuel log, that'll be a definite. Also, what fuel additives do you recommend? I did a google search and there seems to be a lot of variety? Do I need two types, a stabilizer and a moisture eliminator? It didn't seem like there was one product that did both, unless I was missing it. My boat will be coming out of the water for the winter off-season in about a month, so I have to get all these things taken care of.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I usually put a rag under the vent and my ear over it, when it gurgles it's full, any more and you'll get fuel and or "vapor" stains out the vent in rough seas.
Around here if you spill you are responsible for cleanup costs, and it will be cleaned up. Most insurance policies include coverage and you will need to provide your insurance info to the fuel dock and whatever agency is in charge of the clean-up. Usually just a drop can be handled by the fuel docks "spill response" procedures. Fuel spreads out one molecule thick on water so a small amount makes an incredibly large "sheen".
I get Valvetech fuel at the dock and we run year round so I'll let someone else advise what additives you need to get thru a frozen lay up.

Nov 24, 2012
I use a stabilizer only but do have the tank topped off before the winter pullout. Never had a moisture issue (30 + years of owning sailboats on Lake Erie. FYI we're in the next harbor over (Catawba Island)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I don't know about the B361, but the B323 has a different size socket in the deck fitting than does the pumpout and water, which use a winch handle.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Suggest using a diaper instead of a rag - better chance of catching all the overflow especially the first time it happens to you SUPRISE, Oh S...t.

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Also be careful because the diesel tank of Beneteau 361 is quite small. Only 75 litres (20 gallons) capacity.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks All! I sure am glad I asked and didn't assume it was like pumping gas into a car. I suppose that's why the fuel attendants make the boat owners pump their own fuel. I'll be crazy careful and will use something (probably not a diaper) over the vent as suggested.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
my thinking on this is keep a 5 gallon jerry jug on board and fill from that ....if you are keeping an accurate fuel log you will always know when you are 5 gallons down and that its time to add fuel.....the gerry jug can be filled and monitored while filling because it is translucent

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Don't overlook the difficulty of approaching and leaving the fuel dock. For me that is the hardest part when the wind is blowing and it is crowded.

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Woodster, i thought about doing the jerry can thing, because it'd be rather easier. My marina, unfortunately has a gas pump but not a diesel pump, so I have to go to a neighboring marina for fuel. And unfortunately my lease agreement for the dock prohibits fueling at the dock. I suppose I could motor out and fuel up, but I figure at that point why not just go to the fuel dock at the other marina.

Regarding the difficulty of approaching and leaving the fuel dock, I have scoped out the approach and it looks rather straight forward. It's certainly no more difficult than going to the pump out station. If, however, it's a crowded situation, then it's another story. I'd likely just wait for someone to leave and a spot to open up.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I use a stabilizer only but do have the tank topped off before the winter pullout. Never had a moisture issue (30 + years of owning sailboats on Lake Erie. FYI we're in the next harbor over (Catawba Island)
Captn TJ makes a good point about topping off the tank to avoid condensation. I'm in freezing country also but do not top off completely anymore. Only about 7/8. When I did top off totally, high temperatures in Spring with boat under tarp made fuel expand and spill through the fuel vent. With 7/8 full I get no condensation and no spill.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
The problem of moisture in the tank is a bit overblown, IMHO. Someone here (I bet it was Maine Sail) did some calculations (and tests?) and had shown that the condensation is not the issue (rain water ingress is, though).

So topping up makes or does not make sense, depending on your usage. If you motor a lot (i.e. you use more than a full tank of diesel for the season), then filling up makes sense. If you don't, you would be keeping an old diesel for years. It is probably better to leave whatever is there for the winter and fill up with new fuel in the spring.

just a thought...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=860989&highlight=condensation

I've been ailing our diesel engine boat for over 16 years, in the water 365 days a year. Water is 57 F year round and maybe sometimes up to 75+ in The Delta.

It rains here during the winter and gets down to freezing often each winter. It gets hot during some September days to over 90F. It gets hot in The Delta, over 100F, but both places cool down to 50-60F at night due to way the local weather works.

I have never had any indications of water in my tank.

I usually fill up when our 23 gallon tank is half empty, but sometimes I get close to only 3 gallons remaining.

IMHO, this condensation stuff is an urban myth.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Stu,
I'm not sure on your C34 but the first time I filled I realized the vent is on the starboard side and the diesel fill cap on the port. Make it real hard to hear or see. When I get down to a 1/4 tank I ask the fuel attendant to shut me off at 10 gallons (17 gal tank). I'll burn right around 1/2 gal an hour. That gives me 20 hours of motoring. Honestly, I average less than 50 hours a season and that is more for charging my batteries.