First time boat buyer (85 Hunter 31). What should I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
I'm a proud new owner of a 1985 hunter 31. I've been sailing about a year on a club Catalina 27.

This is a whole new animal though. I had a survey done and am replacing some small things (seacock, exhaust elbow, cutlass) and other stuff on my own.
So far I've just limited my research to the mighty internet and people who have sailed but i want to get the down low from actual owners.

Thanks!
-Jared

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Re: First time boat buyer (85 Hunter 31). What should I know

Jared:

Read the owners reviews and you should be able to gather a lot of knowledge about these boats. This site also has a special site in the store for items on the H'31.

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City

I have an 84 31 first thing you should know it's a very good coastal cruiser. Make sure you have a large enough drain hole in the bilge sump because between the hull and liner water gets trapped and it smells. I mix some mild bleach solution and pour it in and sail for a couple of days then manually pump it out of the bilge with a hand pump so not to put the bleach in the water. Other than that it is short on storage for week or longer trips. Put in a refrigeration unit it is worth the money. If the starter acts like it is giving you fits such as not turning over when you push the starter button check the harness not the starter. Other than the keel smile I fix it every year there is nothing major to do if the boat has been well maintained enjoy.

Sep 24, 2010
Hunter 31 RKYC

Keith, I've got an 85 Hunter 31 as well and I haven't sailed it yet. Where do you pour the bleach solution? I'm kind of nervous to pour in anything as I don't understand how everything is connected together under the sole. Have you added any holes or hoses between the bilges? The PO added a hole between my engine bilge and the bilge that's under the companionway but because I found water sitting in that bilge I think that I'm going to plug that hole. I think that water originated from the shaft but I'm not sure. Also, do you use your shower? If so, how do you plumb it? The bilge that my shower empties into houses a transducer and a knotmeter.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That's not the way to clean a bilge...

Make sure you have a large enough drain hole in the bilge sump because between the hull and liner water gets trapped and it smells. I mix some mild bleach solution and pour it in and sail for a couple of days then manually pump it out of the bilge with a hand pump so not to put the bleach in the water.

Noooo...bad plan! Bleach has no place on a boat...it's corrosive and destructive to rubber. However it's harmless to the environment because chlorine evaporates within 24 hours...which is another reason not to use it to "clean" a bilge...once it does, you're still left with the source of your odor..and you'll never get rid of any odor until you get rid of the source. Which means you won't ever have a bilge that doesn't stink until you do at least a little manual labor. I'll treat you to a little excerpt from my book (check out the link in my signature below to see what else is in it that, especially as a new boat owner, you'll find useful):

[FONT=&quot]A wet bilge is a dark stagnant swamp.... And it behaves like one, growing a variety of molds, fungi and bacteria—some that thrive in dark stagnant water, others that just like damp dark places...and it generates the same gasses--hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide--that can make a whole boat smell like rotten eggs or a sewer. The warmer the weather and water, the faster they grow. Add some dead and decaying sea water micro-organisms, dirt, food particles, rain water, wash water, hot weather and humidity, plus a little oil or diesel, and you have a real primordial soup…no wonder it stinks![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Most people’s approach to bilge cleaning consists only of throwing some bilge cleaner--or worse yet, bleach--into that soup when it starts to stink and calling it done. I’ve never understood WHY they think that’s all there is to it. They wouldn’t just add some detergent and bleach to a bathtub full of dirty bath water, swish it around a bit, then just pull the plug and expect the bathtub to be clean. They wouldn’t just pour some more detergent into a sinkful of dirty dishwater, swish it around a bit, then pull the plug and expect to have clean sink? So WHY do so many boat owners think they can have a clean bilge without any effort and especially without rinsing ALL the dirty water out of it? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So if you want to get rid of the odor, roll up your sleeves and get to work![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First--BEFORE using ANY cleaning product, use bilge pads or pillows to soak up any oil or diesel. Dispose of the pads in approved sites. Now, using a good detergent, plenty of water and a scrub brush, really CLEAN the bilges...if there are areas you can't reach by hand, it's time you owned a power washer...I've had one for 15 years (on my second 1650 psi model now), wouldn't ever be without one. And finally, thoroughly flush ALL the dirty water out out. And if you really want to do it right, you need to dry it out completely too... use a shop vac or a hand pump and a sponge and bucket to get what the bilge pump leaves behind (you'd be smart to do this every time you close up the boat), and leave the hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate in it for at least 24 hours.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once a year should be enough to keep most boats smelling fresh (the best time to do it is in the spring as part of full recommissioning), although it may be necessary to clean the bilge two or three times a year in tropical climates.[/FONT]

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And btw, Emerald Lady...

The PO added a hole between my engine bilge and the bilge that's under the companionway but because I found water sitting in that bilge I think that I'm going to plug that hole.

Don't even THINK of plugging that hole or any other holes in the stringers or floors (skeleton under the sole)....they're called limber holes, and should have been installed when the boat was built, but it's not unusual for some to be missed. If a PO added any, he did the right thing, 'cuz water in the bilges has to have a way to drain into the lowest one...if it can't, there's no way to get rid of it or clean the bilges...your boat will always smell like a sewer. That'll mislead you into thinking that the head is the source and you'll drive yourself nuts doing all kinds of things that won't help a bit.

If anything, ADD any 1" limber holes that are needed to drain water. And if your shower and icebox or fridge drain into the bilge, install a sump and route the drain lines into it.

Sep 24, 2010
Hunter 31 RKYC

Peggy, thank you for the reply. The limber holes are probably 1/2". Maybe I will make them bigger.

It will be easy for me to clean the bilges that I can get at, and I will use a bilge pad in the bilge under the engine to get the diesal and oil but how do you clean the skeleton under the sole? With a pressure washer all I would be able to do is just point it at the hole and drive water in.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What goes in will drain out...just takes time

...but how do you clean the skeleton under the sole? With a pressure washer all I would be able to do is just point it at the hole and drive water in.

If you mean the limber hole, all you can do is drive plenty of detergent and water into an area, followed by lots and lots of clean water to rinse out all the dirt and soapy water.. If you need better access to some areas, install some hatches in the sole. I did that on my own boat...added three, including one over the keel that was 3' long x 1' wide that solved a whole bunch of problems. There's nothing sacrosanct about the number and locations of hatches installed by the builder...builders are driven by cost, so they'll put in as few as possible. Installing hatches isn't difficult...just needs a few carpentry skills. They don't have to be big either...just large enough to accomplish the purpose for which you install it.

Btw...re the size of the limber holes: Although bigger is better 'cuz it allows a lot more water and glop to drain, they can't be big enough to compromise the structural integrity of the stringer or floor ("stringer" = ribs that run fore-aft..."floor" = ribs that run across the boat or "athwartship"). 1" SHOULD be ok, but if you have to settle for 3/4", that's what you have to settle for.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.

The best thing I have found is to use the bleach water with a detergent (hotter is better).

There are three places that will eventually lead to the bilge. 1- the area near the shaft log(no liner there so it will flow to the bilge between the hull and the liner. 2- ice box, it drains into the hull area (no liner there either). 3- shower area, it will probably get into the hull from the shower drain tube. You can also pour some under the v-berth. That area get moldy and usually need an annual scrubbing.

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City

Peggy, good advice and I do have your book. But you don't understand the construction of the Hunter 31 83-87. YOU CAN NOT get in to clean between the liner and the hull, unless you are 1.5 inches tall or less. I do rinse with fresh water after it has mixed arond and a lot of "stuff" comes out the small drain hole. It was just a bad design in my opinion but it is, what it is, so we deal with it the best way we can. BTW you can not even get a very small mop or anything else between the hull and liner in the middle of the boat.

IanJ

Nov 7, 2008
Hunter 31 Port Royal, CA

I read something that you can put a long thin hose down into the bottom of the 80's Hunter 31's, through the side of the main central sump, and pump the bilge out. There is a thread on this forum somewhere which I will try and find

IanJ

Nov 7, 2008
Hunter 31 Port Royal, CA

Check out his thread in the search. Also Google Hunter 31 + bilge. Lot of info comes up!!
H 31 false bilge-how to reach the true bilge?.

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle

Thanks for all the info guys!

TR6

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 Point Roberts, WA
have to agree with bleach

I bought an 86 a few years ago which did smell. The surveyor told me it was the holding tank smell------ wrong !

It took 2 years and lots of patience but the boat is now sweet smelling. Multiple power washing through the limber holes in the bilge area with a flex wand jury rigged to the pressure washer followed by a bleach mix filling the bilge almost up to the floorboards with the bilge pump disabled and a vigorous sail, additional drain holes into the bilge as the inner liner sits in a pocket in the bilge area which Hunter don't necessarily fill with sealer. Thus allows stagnant water to collect and not get back to the bilge.

I bought a plumbers camera to take a look (ok, I'm a tool junkie) the one with a camera on the end of a flex cable, to look through the limber holes and it is now just clean fibreglass in there.

The PO cruised extensivley and used the shower a lot which really helped the build up of "stuff". If you're thinking of using the shower in these boats put a sump in the shower pan and don't let it get to the bilge. Same with the ice box although I now use gallon milk jugs of water pre frozen instead if ice blocks then there's no ice box water to drain to the bilge !

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
No to bleach!

And please don't give me "I can't get in there with anything else. If you can get bleach into it, you can get anything into it (are you listening Steve???).

Bleach doesn't CLEAN anything...if it did, it wouldn't be necessary to use detergent in the washer. What's needed is strong solutions of detergent and water and <gasp> some actual manueal labor on your part to CLEAN the bilges...and then flush ALL the dirty water out. Had you used detergent and some elbow grease--or a power washer--you wouldn't have needed all those "multiple power washings"...just ONE would have done it.

Bleach is highly corrosive and also highly destructive to rubber and flex pvc hoses...it has NO place on a boat.

TR6

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 Point Roberts, WA
Not the bilge

Peggy, The problem with these boats usually isn't the bilge, its the space between inner liner and hull which is the issue which was referred to in a previous post. Also stagnant water trapped between the "false bilge" and true bilge. It simply isn't possible to get anything in to give it some "elbow grease" unless you dismantle the boat and remove the whole interior followed by the liner / stringers. Somewhere I've seen a diagram of how these boats are put together which illustrates the point well.

Status
Not open for further replies.