First Season Cruise- Roche Harbor w Catalina Owners

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We set off on May 1 10:48 for the 1st Cruise of the season. Weather has been accommodating. Partial sunshine. Our first leg took us up Saratoga Passage NW to Anacortes. Getting out of Everett their was hope for a SE breeze to carry us. In typical PacNW fashion the wind built out of the West. Putting the winds on our nose.
A4577993-69D8-4CAC-A55A-EDF8BF993AC7.jpeg
Oh well maybe a grey whale will give us a show.

Not today. About 12:30 the CG weather announcement blares. Small craft warning for 20-25 knot winds out of the west wind driven waves 2-3 feet in Juan DFuca Strait.

Captain smiles, our Cruise will be sheltered behind Whidbey Island
A15147D7-B40A-4CB0-AC45-38F16A32BEB0.jpeg
and thru the Swinomish Channel. Tide will be turning so a following current can be anticipated for the 13 mile run.

It is a week day early in the season. The waters are open and free of other boaters. A great day to be on the water.

Ditch transit-smooth. No chance for a sail with the wind WNW and the channel narrow. Never fails. So much water but two boats will meet in the narrows under a bridge.
20F05CE5-6118-4C83-81D9-19EBE94B199C.jpeg
Train bridge wide open.
Now out across the mud flats.

45 ft power boat steaming up behind breaks the calm. 3foot curling wake might be fun for a wake surfer but it is a pain in a 60 yard wide channel and requires a 110 degree turn to take it on the bow instead of broadside. Brief thought, it might be interesting to give him a broad side. He’d probably just beach on the mudflats 20 yards to his starboard. Then there would be an inquiry.
0861B0A0-F029-4E31-A5BF-FD8C669B3F0A.jpeg
6.5 hours. Engine running smooth. Likes the installed new impeller. Plenty of water flow.
09F87371-1A24-40DD-8700-24C41280947B.jpeg
That is a big boy waiting to unload at the fuel terminal.

We get into Cap Sante Marina with a 15 knot breeze messing with close quarters handling. Our slip is starboard tie but stern to the wind. Can’t make it on the first turn. So back up and approach again this time from upwind. Lyn nails the spring toss over the first cleat and our Stern Bridle technique works again to the amazement of a Pacific Seacraft 34 owner in the next slip. “How’d you do that? You didn’t even have your wife jump off the boat. Honey come over here.“
What a great way to meet new friends.

The storm winds build all night. We rock a bit and there are the occasional bangs and clanks the makes it difficult to get any rest. I always find the first night on the boat to be an issue. Which sounds can be ignored and which sounds require getting up and inspection. Tomorrow could be great if this breeze holds.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Wish you were here Terry. But your still working and I have kind of sort of retired. At least I have more freedom now. Les and Stu say high. Weather here in Roche - Beautiful. 58 and sunshine this AM. Pacific NW weather in the spring.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
John you forgot that we placed you at the end of the dock away from the Catalinas as your the Black Sheep of the family.

Oct 22, 2014
I know and willingly accept my status like a brother from another mother.

Oh the fun, camaraderie, and food. We’re having good times at the rendezvous.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Wish you were here Terry. But your still working and I have kind of sort of retired. At least I have more freedom now. Les and Stu say high. Weather here in Roche - Beautiful. 58 and sunshine this AM. Pacific NW weather in the spring.
Well, I'm thinking you aren't completely retired.....I got a up-to-date book the other day with your name and picture in it......

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Oohh..supposed to hit the eighties end of week and wknd. Big club rendezvous at Sucia in Fossil Bay.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Last I heard he had Everett in sight.
00ADE145-7A3C-497D-8F11-2EF223F62A3F.jpeg
22 Catalinas and not a 22 Catalina there.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh what a fabulous trip. 165 nm. My wife survived her first long excursion. Will get back to a computer so I can do a final summarization, with pictures.

All you Catalina owner in the Puget Sound or the Salish Sea. This Rendezvous is just about the best fun you can have in the water.

I’ve been there 3 times and the weather has favored the event. Sit down at your calendar and make plans for 2020. Let’s fill up the dance card and send the GradyWhite power squadron to another dock. There are 18 slots available. Imagine 40 Catalinas all in a row.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Opening Day of Boating this coming weekend at the Everett Marina, represented by the Mukilteo Yacht Club, Everett Sail and Power Squadron, Milltown Yacht Club, and Everett Yacht Club. Patti and I usually attend. A chance to meet up with old friends, plenty of good food to savor and a boat decorating contest. Should be a hoot.

Oct 22, 2014
Ahhhh. A volunteer who knows that there is no great writing only great rewriting.

Not knowing the actual date I had hoped that I might motivate a Catalina owner or two to say I want to go... When Is it.... Then a wisened Catalina Owner with the inside scoop could swoosh in from the North and solve the dilemma .

It may have worked. Stu is from the north. He is wisened. He has shared the date....

Catalina owners this is a great event. Catalina folk looking for a good time.... It would be really something to find 40 Catalina owners to gather next year at the Roche Harbor Rendezvous.

Just saying.

Last edited: