First sail since spring of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Yesterday I installed four Norseman studs on the four lower shrouds, bent on a couple of sails, and did some preliminary rig tuning. It was too windy to tackle the jib(yankee) alone. So Friday, weather permitting, Ladylove will see Lake Erie for the first time since July 2007. And that after not sailing with me since May 2010.

Forestay/backstay tuning(rake) is a bear even with the new Harken furler. Installing the four Norseman was quite easy, about two hours working very cautiously.

The boat has never been so "unready" for sailing. The mast wires are laying in the bilge. The shipper cut my anemometer wiring. No bolts in the mast steps. Hot water is still bypassed, curtains home for washing, A/C isn't working, and clutter and dirt everywhere. :(

I think I will have to jack up the cabin roof to get that bolt through the deck partners. It is perfectly aligned for rake but too high. Anyone else have that problem with keel-stepped masts?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks fine, Ed.. What did ya end up using to make such a nice cut on the wire?

Jun 2, 2004
Wrapped the mark with electrician's tape and kept the cut real close to the jaws of the vise. Then an old hacksaw right in the middle of the tape. Helps a lot to have the teeth cut in the direction of the wrap. Curved 1/4" jaws in vise would be nice.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Congrats for getting her under sail again. Seems that only a few warts remain to be remedied before all is satisfactory again.

Apr 25, 2007
Hunter Cutter 37 Jacksonville, Florida
I've had some issues with my step. The collar at the cabin top is okay, but the step itself wasn't made correctly. The receiver for the mast was welded on too far forward, so they had to cut extra long slots in it, so they could slide it aft as far as possible, which isn't far enough because the mast still needs to go aft about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to line up properly. The height of the cabin top is okay, but hey, we've all heard of the stories of how a lot of pieces were pulled out of their molds when things were still a little soft causing them to warp slightly from where they were designed. I read a blog several years ago from someone whom supposedly worked on the Morgan floor somewhere, and he said that they had to use come-a-longs to wench the hull together so that the desk would line up. He said they drew straws and the looser would have to be the first one down below screwing things together. I guess it would be scary to be in some hole with your hands up in a tight spot knowing that if the wench slips, it would jump inches and bite a finger off. I'd say ease off on all of the stays and shrouds, and then jack up the cabin roof, then bolt it. That is, as long as you only need to move it a little and you don't have to put a lot of force on it to align the bolts. If so, then look for another solution because there would be lots of force on the surrounding fiberglass structure and it'll eventuall crack and the fix won't fair well years afterwards. It's a judgement call of course...
sailh37
s/v Renasci

Jun 2, 2004
Elation, frustration, disappointment . . . .

all in the first day back on Lake Erie. Five years later Ladylove had the green water of Lake Erie over her decks and through the forgotten forward hatch. Forecasted south wind at 10 turned out to be 15 from the northeast building to 20. Elated because my Norsemans held and the rig stayed up! And because my crew loved it and we were on the water again.

Frustrated because things that I was cautious about like the knot log paddles and the wiring failed. Only depth, no speed nor autohelm. Things I did not touch that worked two years ago in Florida. And water in the bilge when it was dry as we left the dock.

Disappointment in taking the sails out of the bags and finding that they were not cleaned as requested. The sail covers need work. The nylon buckles on the bimini straps broke, brittle from the Florida sun. And, finally I hope, maybe a battery issue with my new system. Showing 13.8 on the charger and only 12.5 a couple of hours later on the lake. What's that about?

Still she floats, is pretty, and sails like she always did. :)

Pic: Gary who crewed with me to Florida. His wife Bobbi, far right. Linda at the helm. Bobbi and Linda crew for Linda's husband Tim on a J-24 so know their way around.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2007
Re: Elation, frustration, disappointment . . . .

Hi Ed:

Great picture. Seems that you all had a very fine day.

I am sure you will determine quickly the fixes for the issues you discovered.

Myself. Didn't sail this weekend. Home projects instead after a week in the mountains. But I did visit the boat at my marina to check things out. Discovered a boat has moved into the one-year vacant slip next to me. Sailboat thank the stars instead of a multiple deck power boat to block our views around.

My old DataMarine S-100KL knot/distance meter (probably OEM from 1980) is still working fine. But a couple of times a year I need to pull the impeller assembly from the bilge access out of its side-of-the-the-keel thru-hull housing for cleaning. Boy, the amount of water that gushes through into the bilge during the appx 1-2 seconds before I can insert the dummy plug into the housing is amazing!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Re: Elation, frustration, disappointment . . . .

Way to go, Ed!

As to the small issues - pretty minor after that long a lay-up. I'm sure you will have everything put right in short order. What would we sailors do if there was nothing to fix? Sail, I guess :)

On Saturday I helped a friend, whose husband is at sea (working), deliver their sailboat from the launch marina to the one across the bay where they keep her. It was a 27' Albin Vega like I used to own. Its a sweet boat but it seemed tiny after all these years with the H37C...I guess every boat shrinks with familiarity but 37 feet is probably as large as I can handle, in terms of sailing and maintaining by myself....

Jun 2, 2004
You had to tell me about pulling the transducer didn't you Rardi?! :)
I'll be upside down in the center v-berth locker laying over my holding tank. And there is only a tiny hole between that locker and the bilge. Might dive on it but Lake Erie is still in the 60's. I wonder if the yard caught the paddle wheel with the sling?

Jun 21, 2007
Ed:

I'll take a picture of my paddle wheel thru-hull on the interior bilge wall next time I'm at the boat. Unfettered access. Sounds like it will make you jealous. One more reason the Cherubini 36 is the best of the line!

Rardi

Jun 21, 2007
Hi Ed:

Proof that getting to the knot meter paddle wheel isn't too much of an issue on my boat -- per the pic's

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.