First sail of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

david

Took the boat out for the first time yesterday. Hot (96 degrees) and sunny with a great breeze, guessing about 15 knots (white caps). Flew just the main, but decided not to reef. Seemed like I was pushing it at first, but ended up being a great sail for about 3 hours, sailed most of the time on a beam as I was less likely to be overpowered, but also pushed the limit to practice depowering by heading up and easing the main, both worked beautifully. Headed downwind a few times, but had to keep tight control. Had one accidental gybe which was good for getting the blood going - full 360 and heeled WAY up on her side before I could get her back under control. My wife was along as well, don't know if I would have gone out solo in those conditions. It was a great place to be on a hot day, we didn't even work up a sweat - well there was that accidental gybe....

M

Mike

Ah, sailin' the upper midwest lakes!

David, Your post reminds me that my wife and I's trip to my parents' lake house in northern Minnesota is but a month and change away- and I'll be out on my dad's Laser, just blasting around. During the week we're there there's always at least one 20+ knot day- just smokin'! Can't wait! Mike G.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Can't beat the first day

David - You can't beat the feeling of that first sail of the season! I should've had the wife with me on Saturday and maybe I wouldn't have went over. Then again if it had happened with her onboard... she might not want to go anymore. You're right about it feeling cool on the lake. I had the same thing Saturday too. I'm happy to hear someone else got out this past weekend for a sail, it was pretty nice. JerryA

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
What a great first day!

My 1st day, motored out till where the cove just starts to widen (since my little motor is SOO loud, I want to turn it off asap!), but then had to put it back on just to get out past the "make no wake" bouys, and perhaps some wind. NO WIND! Turned back down the cove, and had just enough of a wisp of wind to take me on the slowest win/n/wing back to dock ever. Total of 1 hr! 2nd day, seemed like a fresh little breeze - maybe only 7 knots in the puffs, but was fun getting out to the first really wide spot, and then me and the 1 other sailboat out just sat, and sat, and sat. I tuned and fiddled, but made very little headway. Water was glass. Ran downwind back to dock, with just enough wind to get me back in. 2 1/2 hrs! Bright spot of such days - I can sail right into my slip - no noisy motor! Hey - a bad da sailing still beats lots of other things. Yours sounds very awesome - I can't say as I mid "easing in" to that kind of sailing the slow way.

Status
Not open for further replies.