First sail - how embarassing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Embarassing only in the sense of how late in the season I finally launched!! The sail was great - my brother and goddaughter. Enough wind to have fun, and only a few occasional gusts provided spirited sailing, but not enough to make the novice crewmember nervous. In spite of being a weekend, ,surprisingly few powerboaters to kick up wake. That was Sunday. Today went out by myself for 3 hours in the morning - was finally able to make it to Sand Island and beach it, allowing me a much needed cooling swim. Not that it's far, but there was precious little wind this morning, so was fun to actually reach a milestone, AND get back in time for my 3pm meeting!! Put my new windvane up - love it! With such changeable winds, I was really having trouble judging how well I could point, or if wind had changed and died, or just simply died. Perhaps it's a good part psycological, but I find that I am sailing it better by having that additional data input! Cheers and happy sailing!

J

john

sounds like a nice sail

But I thought it was going to be an embarassing story! When I first got my 170 I remember the first day I took my family sailing. Just as I was thinking, "OK, just don't do anything embarassing," I walked face first into a glass door and spent the next half hour with my head tilted back and kleenex up my nose! but at least it got better from there! john

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Glad you made it out...

Tereza, Glad you were able to get out and enjoy a sail. A few days ago I took my wife and daughter out for the first time on my 170 and thankfully all went well. We had a very plesent sail down KY Lake to an un-named bay and beached the boat for a nice swim. We then had a very fun sail back up the lake and nothing embarrising happened! YEAH! And more importantly, my better half enjoyed the day. I agree with you on the windvane. I have one for my 170 and I think it helps a lot. I check mine constantly. Tim

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Good to hear from you again !

Hi Tereza, Good to hear from you again, enjoy reading your post. It seems that the east cost is getting a heat wave. Dawn and I sailed at Long Beach last Saturday, cool and overcast but nice winds for the H-170. Next Wednesday, I will be sailing with Brian on his H-23 in a boat race that occurs every Wed. late afternoon, starts about 6pm ! winds are to high for this Wed. so........ I might try and get out for a few hrs this Saturday at Castaic Lake or next Saturday, depends on the crowds. I usually dont sail at this lake because of the power boaters and jet skiers, what a circus ! No place like being on the ocean for a long sailing course and serenity Glenn

J

JCD

Wind Vane Recommendations

What wind vane do you recommend on the H170? I assume the wind vane would be located on the top of the mast, which wouldn't be an option for me considering my Hobie "bob" mast float. Any recommendations? Thanks, Jon

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Windvane

JCD, I use one that has a bungie type strap that can be placed on your mast, but not at the top or used on the end of the boom. I don't have the brand name of it with me but I will post it tonight or tomorrow. Tim

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Windex 10 Sport

Hi JCD... Mine is a Windex 10 Sport. Was not expensive. And it held up well when I got too close to a few maple branches when beaching her on Sunday!! I put swimming noodles in hte mast and boom, partly because I wanted to be able to have a windvane. I have a post in the Hunter Photo/Project Forum, and Glenn has posted his technique there too, I think, if you wanted to consider that approach. Cave Run sounded interesting - googled it - looks beautiful! Glenn - stop showing off your sublime ocean access!! At least we don't have to worry about sharks, right JCD? ;)

J

JCD

Tereza & Tim

Your right Tereza about not having to worry about sharks, but I did see a full grown Black bear about a mile from the dam coming home last month! Battle of the Species! Tereza, Cave Run Lake is beautiful & thank you for noticing. It's located in the Daniel Boone Natl. Forest, so you don't have the commercialization & overcrowding you have at a lot of lakes, etc.. Due to the Natl. Forest surrounding the lake, you can't develop the land, which means no lakehouses & an overall less populated lake, which adds to the appeal. It is known as a "sailing lake"...it has been among the top 10 or 15 inland sailing lakes in the country according to Sail magazine. Something to due with the elevation & wind patterns makes for great sailing just about 99% of the time. Beautiful place. Thanks Tim also on your feedback about the wind vane. I assume Defender or West Marine has them. Thanks again.

J

JCD

Candlewood Lake

Tereza, Candlewood Lake looks beautiful as well. Just checked it out. Great looking lake & huge!

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Black Max Windvane.

JCD, Sorry for the delay in this post. The windvane I have is called a Black Max. Thanks, Tim

P

pete carrigan

146 cracks

I WAS LATE GETTING IN THE WATER BUT FOR GOOD REASONS!WHEN I TOOK MY 146 OUT OF STORAGE (INSIDE NEVER BELOW FREEZING). FLOOR & MAST MOUNT AREA CRACKS... NO STRESS ...NO REASON...I BELIEVE IT WAS CAUSED BY STRUCTERAL MANUFACTURING PROBLEM????? WORKING WITh HUNTER BUT DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH this EVERY YEAR. Cracks were 26" &14" NOTE: ACP REPAIR info on site showes my exact cracks. not happy......! boat was given tender loving care.Only in the water about 20 days. pete carrigan

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Big Disappointment !

Must have been a real shock to discover from no fault of your own that your boat is cracking. How old is your boat ? I have a 2004 170 (no cracks as yet) and have been recently thinking of moving up to a larger boat, one I could still tow, 20 to 25 foot. I've ruled out Hunter all together based upon the on going problems of cracking. This is nothing new to Hunter, yet they continue to produce hulls that crack, either the material used to produce the hulls is flawed or the manufacturing process is flawed. It would be in Hunters best interest to resolve these issues with their customers at once. A new hull to replace your craking hull would be a good start to preserving the the Hunter image. I should probably sale my H-170 before I get any cracks ! Good luck with your solutions !

P

pete carrigan

your 170 glen

hi glen, I do not have final resolution from hunter yet but the bill has been submitted???? my 140 was built in 2003.....its perfect for my needs but i am concernd about the future & integrity of the boat! The repair looks good the marina did a nice job. Good luck with your 170 pete

J

JCD

Cracks

I bought a '99 H170 in Feb. of this year that had hairline cracks by the cleats, roller furler, etc. & larger cracks by the mast step & bow. I was surprised it had cracks considering it was garage kept during it's short sailing life & it hadn't been sailed at all in the past 3yrs. After researching, I was able to fix all cracks before the beginning of the season & thus far everything is a-okay. After the repairs, the majority of the cracks you would never even know they existed at one time, with the exception of the mast step area, where the larger cracks existed. I wonder if it will be a reoccuring problem, but I have been told by others on this post in the past that they were able to successfully combat the problem. I spoke to Kyle Boyette at Hunter regarding the structural integrity of the boat with cracks. Basically, the cracks are eyesores, but they will in no way effect boat performance or have you sinking in the middle of a lake. I don't anticipate Hunter doing anything other than educating you on how to fix them unfortunately. I can understand Hunter's stance on my 99, but for those with newer boats, I can understand the frustration.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
No cracks (yet)

Pete, you have me wondering...I have no cracks on my 2004 146 - it is in a slip all summer, and outdoors under a tarp in a very shady area in our very harsh winters. Is this inevitable, and only a matter of time? Please keep us updated on how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.