First race of 2020 this Saturday!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm starting out the new year right and pushing to get out to as many race events as possible. Our first event is this weekend and as usual the wind predictions are showing 6-8 knots with gusts to 18-20 knots. We sail in these conditions fine, but usually just Jib only and no main. I'm short on crew right now with just 2 of us so my plan was to have my friend with his experience on the main and I'll cover the jib and helm. Going to be a fun time and lots of learning so not serious about how we do overall just want to get out there more and learn. Any pointers would be appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Have fun! It’ll be sporty with just the two of you in those conditions. Learn the process and develop a routine for things like maneuvering, watching for traffic, and keeping track of time at the start. Don’t feel like you need to be in the first row at the start or in the middle of a crowded spot at mark roundings just yet - that will come with experience.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
you asked: get more crew. developing crew is a big part of racing. say pass the word at work , asking for teenage sons or daughters that might be available or call the high school wrestling coach for possibilities, .......................

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Agree, would normally have my kids but this weekend they have testing for collage and rehearsals for a play, kind of sad not to have them. I do have a request at the club and probably will pick up 1 or 2 people to help.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Davidasailor26 fun is the reason we are going out! My friend and I have sailed a few times on my old O'Day 25 in sporty conditions, we just didn't get together till now on the new boat. He has more experience then I so it is nice to have him help and guide. When it is just me and my family I'm the most experience so it gets more stressful. This group usually does a pursuit start which I think works for us.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John, Don Guilette's Sail Trim Guide has a very very good section on racing, in case you don't have the book already. Good luck, and have fun.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I do and have been reading a lot!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So Alabama Governor close public schools and my daughter's first lead role in a play she has been working on has been cancelled for public performances. Tomorrow and Sunday are my only days to see her perform and I'm always at her opening and closing so I'm skipping the race.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Play was great and glad I went as the school just cancelled all events including tomorrow. Lots of tears here but she was awesome and loved her first big part. Just terrible that they won't have a chance to perform as everything is cancelled till April 30 and May is the last month before summer break.