First motor out in the ditch

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Rigged and ready but blowing like stink elected to give the motor a stress test ran for 5 hours steady, did have one issue, the motor ended up way low on the second detent and too high on the first. What am I missing, the tilt adjustment was a little off but I don't think that is the issue.
3703.jpeg

Yes the halyard is over the stay, this was when we got back my wife unhooked the main clipped it to the mast without looking up
3724.jpeg

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Yes the halyard is over the stay, this was when we got back my wife unhooked the main clipped it to the mast without looking up
have to admit that is my preferred overnight posture-- wrap the halyards for a quiet night on the hook -- that was just practice ;)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Better low than high, as long as the powerhead does not dip below the waterline in 3-5 ft waves it should be fine. There should be enough air in the cowling to sustain a 3 seconds dunking without missing a beat.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
What size shaft does your outboard have? There was a mention here, a while back, of cutting a custom notch in the outboard transom mount. If it's a big issue, you might also be able to adjust the height of the mounting plate the outboard clamps to. I'd rather have the outboard run a little deep, rather than having it cavitating and sucking air - between the two mounting options.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
What size shaft does your outboard have? There was a mention here, a while back, of cutting a custom notch in the outboard transom mount. If it's a big issue, you might also be able to adjust the height of the mounting plate the outboard clamps to. I'd rather have the outboard run a little deep, rather than having it cavitating and sucking air - between the two mounting options.
20" shaft, I can move it up one last set of mount holes. I suspect it was originally installed for a 15" shaft, as putting it on the first detent damn near drags the mounting plate (and absolutely does when my fat butt is int the back.) Moving it up one will gain an inch sometimes an inch is all it takes.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
I had similar problem, the mounting plate (wood) dragged in the water. As an off-season project a few yrs ago I cut another set of slots and now am satisfied with the depth of my motor/mount.