First deaf person to circumnavigate single handed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I thought Joshua Slocum was the first person to circumnavigate the world single handed?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I thought Joshua Slocum was the first person to circumnavigate the world single handed?
He was, as far as we know. This new report is of the first DEAF PERSON to do it.

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I suppose it depends on the fine print.

"A Scottish teacher has become the first deaf person to sail single-handed around the world past all five capes."

A sailor just a few miles down the road from here was in the newspaper and is listed on Wikipedia as the "first." He did use the Panama Canal.

http://www.palaciosbeacon.com/home/features-sailor.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circumnavigations
That's a great story about Charl... thanks for sharing.

\

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The news paper list Robin Knox Johnson as the first. He was the first non stop. I believe Slocum sailed north of Austraila.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Sport Minister Shona Robison said: "To sail round the world single-handedly is achievement enough - to do so when profoundly deaf is just incredible.

Sailing around the world is a hugh achievement. This is the incredible part. But IMO, deaf is just icing on the cake.

Besides, there is nobody to talk to when single handing anyway. For communication if he use e-mail who needs to hear.

Congrate.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: how about a paraplegic circumnavigating

I have very low levels of hearing ability. I can tell the difference between a piano and a lawnmower but people really have to speak up if they want me to hear what they say. I know that many people talk in my direction but I cannot hear what they are saying and most of the time it doesn't matter. I can go for hours with no conversation, radio or other distractions and be completely happy. Many people are functionly deaf when they are wearing earbuds and listening to an IPad.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
That's a fact. Very dangerous for the uninitiated.
There was a fatal railroad accident here with a man walking the tracks and wearing earbuds just this week. Couldn't hear the engineer sound his whistle.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Exactly. All kidding aside, a large part of awareness when underway sailing is the sound of the wind, the water passing the hull and and the sounds of the seas. So, I think it is a notable accomplishment. Adding to that he didn't have annoying crew to bother him - or at least he couldn't hear them. I've prayed for that.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I was on a Turkish ketch in the Red Sea in 2001 with a Brit man and his SA wife that were working hard on a divorce. Even at 65' I couldnt get far enough away. After the first few hours I was volunteering to walk the plank.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I have very low levels of hearing ability. I can tell the difference between a piano and a lawnmower but people really have to speak up if they want me to hear what they say. I know that many people talk in my direction but I cannot hear what they are saying and most of the time it doesn't matter. I can go for hours with no conversation, radio or other distractions and be completely happy. Many people are functionly deaf when they are wearing earbuds and listening to an IPad.
Ross ..... You make a very good point!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
If you have never heard the sound of the wind in the rig or the water sizzling past the hull you won't depend on those signals. I feel the vibrations of the rig and the hull.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I was on a Turkish ketch in the Red Sea in 2001 with a Brit man and his SA wife that were working hard on a divorce. Even at 65' I couldnt get far enough away. After the first few hours I was volunteering to walk the plank.

Oh my GOD! I could not imagine this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.