First Boat North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I think I have a good chance of claiming that title, given my current plans and inclinations. If anyone hears of someone ahead of me, please let me know.

I bailed on Saint Augustine after another walk around and meal ashore (poor choice unfortunately, Florida Crackers). It’s great town that I want to see more of but I’m getting tired of feeling like the only person in an entire city walking around alone. I’m going to save it for when I have company.

After the initial thrill over the warm and balmy air and the sight of the space center wore off, I found that I’m not as excited by Florida as Georgia and the Carolina's. No particular negatives, aside from port shore access being poor and something that usually has to be paid for one way or another. I just find a personal preference for the culture and topography to the north. A very shallow draft sailboat or an outboard to explore in would raise my interest level in Florida a lot. I’m sure I’ll be back but I’ve seen enough for this year.

I ran north from Saint Augustine on a cool and cloudy day against a northeast wind. The cabin heater was going and the sight of mist shrouded land points ahead was making me nostalgic for my home waters. Call me strange but I enjoy being in the cabin with the fire flickering and everything crisp and dry while the wind blusters a bit. It was nice sailing and sitting out in tee shirt and shorts but everything below started to feel damp and sticky after a couple days, including myself. Being able to have hot water from the cabin heater takes care of the last part. Let’s face it, I’m just a creature of the north and, as the song goes, I’m going where the weather suits my clothes.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
See you soon, maybe in Norfolk if weather and schedule work out.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
So a lasting memory is going to be the humidity?! I know the feeling. Try working on the boat when its 90 degrees, especially if you wear glasses. It is something that a yankee can learn to tolerate I guess. But never get used to as the natives say that you can. But to be fair I remember some pretty miserable summer days in Maine. When I lived in New York we vacationed at Cape Porpoise. We had to put leashes on the dog and kids to keep the mosquitos from carrying them off. The cabins were not air-conditioned so there were plenty of nights of sweaty sheets. Be honest Roger. :)

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Add Adirondack deer flies to the mix and the 'north country' takes on a different look.....

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
honesty the best policy

thanks for sharing your feelings Roger. I can relate to being in a fairly crowded place and feeling alone. Better to be alone in the comfort of your warm, dry cabin. St Augustine is nice, especially the old town shops. But, its a tourist town as the retail shops clearly suggest. It seams that everywhere you go money is the prevailing sentiment. I have'nt felt it since being in Islamorada in the florida keys. I purchased an oday25 off ebay for $100 and drove to pick it up. Online there were listed dozens of marinas within a mile of the boats location, but none, not one had a boat ramp to haul it out. The nearest public ramp was 2.5 miles away and it did'nt have a motor-left mine at home figuring it would be an easy out. Sea tow and others wanted $250 plus milage to and from boat-would have been 500 or 600$, i was totally at a loss and feeling abandoned, just happened i drove back to the boat and saw a guy working his yard with a ramp just alittle ways from the boat. Got a tow and he let me pull out there. Everything in the keys is about money and the marinas got downright smug when i mentioned sailboat-guess they make their money from the stinkpots. Sorry, got off tangent.
I hope you have a great ride home, meet lotsa wonderfull people and see other new sights on your trip north. For us southern sailors the season has'nt even started yet, or at least this s. sailor. We don't usually go out until the water is warm enough to swim in-say 80+ degrees, the days are longer and warmer. No heat in the cabin, no airconditioning either. Hell, we spent one night in July on the sandbar and were cold! Did'nt even bring blankets or sleeping bags since day temps were 90's. Guess its what your used to. Fair winds and safe trip. Patrick keep the story comming-very much appreciated.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
What humidity, Ed ??
We don't have any in Louisiana !
Have a fine trip north, Roger..

Nov 22, 2008
I remember some pretty miserable summer days in Maine.
But, I'll be in Nova Scotia by then. :)

I would have happily put up with the humidity in the Indian River if I'd found the whole place more interesting. I'm just saying that having to use the cabin heat more if I spend the time in GA and SC isn't a real downside.

Honestly.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
"...bankin' off of a northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze..."

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, here in Florida they still have not figured out how to charge you for the air you breathe but they are probably looking for ways. It is sad but probably due to the State's economic dependance on Tourism. The whole State is being considered as a tourist trap and it is sad that the local goverment does not realize how counter productive this "squeeze the last dollar out of them" can be. Word of mouth gets around real fast and makes for wasted dollars in add campaigns whith lost credibility. Some cities are better than others in providing services to attract visitors but there are no adequate controls at State level. Treat sombody fairly and they will come back, is just my opinion.

Aug 1, 2011
Tanzer 26 Saint John
Well done Roger and congratulations on your trip south. Many of your posts have echoed my thoughts about the trip, including my views on sailing in Florida. The turn northward must surely heighten your excitement for the upcoming northern season. Hopefully you shall be ready to depart Portland mid May in order to allow yourself plenty of time for Cape Breton and the Eastern Shore. Looking forward to hearing about your summer and fall plans.

Nov 22, 2008
it is sad that the local goverment does not realize how counter productive this "squeeze the last dollar out of them" can be.
I would have left a lot more of my money in Florida if I could have counted on a free dinghy dock, or even just a beach, in each town. I ran all the way down to Cocoa because it was described as a nice little town and the only place to land was a high pier in a public park that wasn't intended for tying up to. Either that or pay for a marina. I didn't feel like scrambling up and down 4-5 feet so I just stayed on the boat. My decision to head back north came while I was sitting in the cockpit that evening.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Roger is in the 1%

It is sad but probably due to the State's economic dependance on Tourism. The whole State is being considered as a tourist trap and it is sad that the local goverment does not realize how counter productive this "squeeze the last dollar out of them" can be.
What is really sad is that many do keep coming back to get fleeced. If there were MANY more like Roger, the Pols would eventually catch on. As it is today, they trap 'em fleece 'em and forget 'em, cause tomorrow boatloads more will appear.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Let that be a lesson to all of us who live in waterfront towns How easy to use are our waterfronts for cruisers?

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Let that be a lesson to all of us who live in waterfront towns How easy to use are our waterfronts for cruisers?
The underlying question is, should we expect free landings wherever we sail? Except in shopping malls I rarely park my car for free -- try it in DC sometime :snooty:
On the other hand, I believe States and communities along travel ways like the ICW have an obligation to provide 'service stations' incl fuel, water and pumpout - not the same as 'parking' to shop or sightsee.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]"To be headed east by Schoodic bell before a summer sou'wester with
Mount Desert fading astern and the lonely spike of Petit Manan light
just visible on the port bow is about as close to perfection as a man
can expect to come on this imperfect earth....

Roger Duncan
[/FONT]

Nov 22, 2008
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]"To be headed east by Schoodic bell ......[/FONT]
Been there, done that, and I've got to say, he absolutely nails it. There is something magic about transitioning from the Maine of marinas and tourists into the raw and real world downeast.

I think I am one of the few cruisers who can claim to have been nine miles off Petit Manan in May headed west:

http://issuu.com/pointseast/docs/september_issuu
(Page 26)

If there is anyone else who can make this claim, I'd sure like to meet them.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Can't say I've been off Schoodic going either direction in May.

Of course, the point of the last email was to remind you why you needed to get the hell out of Florida and keep going. Duncan continues:

"Astern lie supermarkets, yacht clubs water skiers, high-charged power cruisers, the pageantry associated with racing and day sailing Ahead likes cold waters, racing tides, the probability of thick fogs and delightful scale-ups...For the experience navigator with a touch of the explorer, this country is the Promised Land, and for the "cricker" it is happy hunting ground. The gregarious, the inexperienced navigators, and those who like to dress up and go ashore for dinner at the yacht club every evening will be happier west of Schoodic"

I've had some enjoyable times in Florida -- but it is far west of Schoodic.

Nov 22, 2008
you needed to get the hell out of Florida and keep going.
You're preaching to the choir. Thanks for posting that excerpt for Roger Duncan as I don't have a copy of his book on board. I can't think of anything written that better resonates with my attitude towards cruising.

I first read those words when I had done a little dinghy camp cruising on Lake George and a bit of cruising in a catboat around Buzzards Bay and Boston. They were the dream of Maine I held in my head in my youth and they have been on my mind every time I have turned from the Cliffs of Mt. Desert abeam and looked ahead to my favorite part of Maine.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Hell, once I open the Guide, I'm swept to another world. Ain't fair in the middle of winter -

Roque Island is both a symbol and a delightful fact. Situated far east of Schoodic and 'Tit Manan, shrouded by Fundy fogs and scoured by icy Fundy tides, it is the goal of many east coast yachtsmen. To have anchored off the beach at Roque is to be marked as an able saltwater man. Few of the rocking chair sorts get by Schoodic. To clear 'Tit Manan and Moose Peak in a fog choking thick and to make a landfall on the back side of Roque is no feat for a mere church-steeple navigator. Most of the yachts you meet in Lakeman's or Bunker Cove are manned by men whom you can respect.

...perhaps not quite as true today with the crutch of GPS.

Roger tried to teach me writing in high school. It was a humbling experience.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.