First Boat! Advice?

Oct 1, 2026
1
Catalina 22 TN River
I am thrilled to finally have purchased my own sailboat. I have been sailing since the womb, and have taught it for a good chunk of my life. I'm 25 and have been looking forward to my own vessel since I can remember.
She's a Cal 22. Any advice for a first time owner, and more specifically for the things unique to a catalina/catalina 22? Things I am not expecting that I need to put on the recurring to do list? Things not to do? Hidden gems? Etc. Anything is much appreciated!
 
Feb 26, 2004
23,493
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
One of the most interesting and useful tools I found when we bought our 1981 Catalina 22 in 1983 was Patrick Royce's excellent book Sailing Illustrated. It's still in print. Not only does it "feature" superb articles specifically about the C22 and other trailer boats, but covers sailing, navigation, piloting and all sorts of other informative information. It is a valuable resource, forever. I still have my copy and browse it often.