First 41S5 (1990?) needs a replacement Prop Shaft

Sep 3, 2023
Oyster Lightwave 395 RJYC, Kingston, Jamaica
Hello all,

a friend here looking for assistance with specs to order a replacement prop shaft... vessel was sitting for a while and anode protection was not replaced for a while.

It is still in the water, so we have not been able to verify the overall length of the shaft yet... measured shaft diameter inside by the shaft seal was 30mm. Volvo diesel with 2-blade MAX-PROP.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Hello all,

a friend here looking for assistance with specs to order a replacement prop shaft... vessel was sitting for a while and anode protection was not replaced for a while.

It is still in the water, so we have not been able to verify the overall length of the shaft yet... measured shaft diameter inside by the shaft seal was 30mm. Volvo diesel with 2-blade MAX-PROP.
I would call Beneteau USA and order it ....no surprises and right material

Mar 23, 2015
Hunter Std Chesapeake Bay
Sorry to say that I am on my third shaft and third propeller. Boat sat in warm salt water. and was subject to corrosion. So nhaft Number one was replaced. On the shakedown cruise with the previous owner, half the two blade propeller dropped off in his saltwater canal off the Caloosahatchee river in Florida. A new propeller was manufactured in Bradenton Florida to the mate with the metric shaft. A sleeve was provided to mount the propeller on the shaft. After several incidences of loose propeller, and finally losing one, I came to realize that the problem was and in adequate size key. most seem to be square, but I needed a rectangular shape to make up for the added dimension of the sleeve. Hopefully my luck will change and we’ll go on. Happy sailing.
not to be labor, the story, my broken shift happens off Hampton. All of a sudden no power. First mate went below to furiously, empty out the rear cabin, and lift boards to find. no shaft. Of course, the boat was taking on water. Unfortunately, she knew the location of the bag of bungs. It went in the hole in the hurry which stop the water leak. A little bailing with my Y’allternative 12 V bilge pump got most of the water out. I should add that when I called towboat, they immediately got the Coast Guard on the telephone with us and need a security message to get nearby boats to standby. Also Norfolk police boats showed up on the scene very soon. towboats put us to a marina in Hampton, which mobilize the crew to get us out of the water as soon as possible. We were very lucky indeed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good that you @skipr00 were prepared with tools to address the leak. Nothing worse than an uncontrollable leak.

@Al Stewart JM welcome to SBO. Your query about the shaft material can be researched on one of our members websites
Marine How To - DIY for Boaters - Marine How To
The site was built by a talented sailor and marine electrician. You will find his information on shaft alloys enlightened.

Likely a quality skilled marine prop shop can also be helpful.

You’ll want to have the prop fitted to the shaft on on end. On the transmission end you need a coupler. The coupler needs to be “fitted and faced” to the shaft by a machine shop. While you are dealing with this issue you should assure the strut (if your boat uses one) is inspected and the cutlass bearing or bearings are replaced.

If this is your first time addressing the issue suggest you enlist professional help. There are a few tricks needed to it all working together smoothly.