First 405 interior wood.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
I am rebuilding a 1987 first 405 and need to know if anyone knows what type of wood beneteau used for the interior. There is a clear diference between the flat panels( bulkheads, cabinets,etc) and the trim around cabinet doors which is much darker( teak or mahogany). I need to order thin veneer to recover bulkheads since they are glassed in and sheet goods for cabinet construction. I do like the contrast between the light cabinetry and the cabinets trim. I has a hunter 37 that was all teak and the interior was very dark.
all sudgestions are appreciated
Joseph Guidera

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Beneteau was using Duka wood at one time; not sure about the wood on your specific boat.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I replaced the vertical risers in the salon on my B411 (1989). these may differ from you bulkheads. I emailed Ward at Beneteau USA and got this back

." This wood is a tropical hardwood related to the mahogany family; the species is Tieghemella Africana of the Sapotaceae family.
We no longer have this color of wood."

I found a place in Maryland that had the "real" marine plywood and would CNC cut my pieces. I drew it up and sent them a cad file. Saved all the cutting and shaping.

I looked at typical mahogany marine plywood and found two varieties Sapele and Okoume. Neither were real close to the correct color but I wanted B1088 grade. The information I had was that Beneteau used a cherry stain followed by varnish. One coat of stain didn't get dark enough and the veneer couldn't soak up any more. Finally got the right color by using one coat of stain/varnish combo followed by more varnish.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Thank you for your replies. I think stain may be the way to go. It wood keep the teak plywood from darkening over the years. Also, using waterborne finish would keep the wood much lighter over time. Petroleum based finishes yellow and darken over time.
I had not thought of playing with stains.
Cheers

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
. One coat of stain didn't get dark enough and the veneer couldn't soak up any more. Finally got the right color by using one coat of stain/varnish combo followed by more varnish.
Beneteau definitely uses stain mixed with catalized/precatalized sealer in their factory finishing process. Certainly makes it more difficult to match, when refinishing Lowe’s used to custom mix Cabot stains to match your specific application; however they no longer offer that service. Perhaps you can contact an independent paint store for a custom mixed stain that will make it somewhat easier to obtain a good color match.
Beneteau also recommends Mohawk laqor spray for use as a sealer; however, I wasn’t pleased with the outcome when refinishing my companionway ladder. Resorted to using min wax helmsman spray poly and was very pleased with results.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I don’t have any info about the wood itself, but I do have some information on the finish products that I got from Beneteau a few years ago
E57C23A8-AA8F-496D-920A-817A7DAA08AA.png