First 305 Window replacement

Apr 5, 2012
US11 First 305 Lake Lanier
Replaced the windows about 15 years ago with acrylic and they have been great but need to replace the seals as some leaks are forming. Have forgotten what those two piece screws that hold the glass to the hull are called as will be needing some new ones, besides those are aluminum and deform very easily when tightening.......so may look for alternative, anyone know the specification of these two-piece screws? Thank You!

Jul 3, 2004
Beneteau 375 Windsor, Ontario
Replaced the windows about 15 years ago with acrylic and they have been great but need to replace the seals as some leaks are forming. Have forgotten what those two piece screws that hold the glass to the hull are called as will be needing some new ones, besides those are aluminum and deform very easily when tightening.......so may look for alternative, anyone know the specification of these two-piece screws? Thank You!

Jul 3, 2004
Beneteau 375 Windsor, Ontario
One name for them is 'Chicago screws'' and they are also available in stainless which are much more durable that the aluminum ones
One

Apr 8, 2009
Beneteau First 305 Joe Wheeler State Park, AL
I've replaced the side windows a couple times over 32 years on my First 305. I got the aluminum "Chicago" bolts from Beneteau. They charged too much. But I didn't know where else to go. Next time, stainless. The aluminum will corrode. Do not reuse. Buy new. Another suggestion: instead of a single long window that spans both cabin openings, cut the plexiglass into two pieces to the shape of the openings. Leave aa 2" gap between them. This helps avoid expansion cracks, especially at the tips of the plexiglass. I had to buy a 4'x8' smoked plexiglass sheet. I preferred that to the original bronze. Fortunately, the same glass shop cut the first set, then later two more; so I have a spare set. They also cut replacement windows for the Lewmar ports.