First 235 rudder question

Mar 24, 2015
Beneteau First 235 chelsea, hudson valley
Hi all,
I am in the process of restoring my rudder. My 235 has a wing keel and came with a rudder that never lifted properly (I think due to a snapped off bolt frozen on the metal housing the rudder sits within.) Accordingly, I have always been a bit nervous about shallow water and, since I plan to cruise the Hudson this summer, I thought it time to fix it. My question is: how do the mechanics of the rudder & housing work? I see faint dimples along the rudder's length as though it can be lifted a good 6-12 inches. Is this true? I have managed to sand down layers of paint on the rudder face and drill out enough of the 3/8" threaded screw to be able to move the rudder up and down a bit, but cannot find any information about whether it can be completely removed from its cage, which would make working on it easier. I'll try to attach a copy of photos of how far I have gotten. Any information or resources about the rudder would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
riverroad

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The 235 rudder is held in place in its cassette by two delrin bolts. They tend to create dimples in the rudder where it sits, AND in any raised position it has been held in in the past. It is good practice to raise it when sailing in known shallow water; due to a Beneteau-USA designed wing keel, the rudder is deeper. You can see the bolts on the cassette here. They tend to seize if not used.

Mar 24, 2015
Beneteau First 235 chelsea, hudson valley
Hi all,
I am in the process of restoring my rudder. My 235 has a wing keel and came with a rudder that never lifted properly (I think due to a snapped off bolt frozen on the metal housing the rudder sits within.) Accordingly, I have always been a bit nervous about shallow water and, since I plan to cruise the Hudson this summer, I thought it time to fix it. My question is: how do the mechanics of the rudder & housing work? I see faint dimples along the rudder's length as though it can be lifted a good 6-12 inches. Is this true? I have managed to sand down layers of paint on the rudder face and drill out enough of the 3/8" threaded screw to be able to move the rudder up and down a bit, but cannot find any information about whether it can be completely removed from its cage, which would make working on it easier. I'll try to attach a copy of photos of how far I have gotten. Any information or resources about the rudder would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
riverroad
Jackdaw, thanks for your reply.
The delrin bolts are released. I thought the problem might be a combination of paint build up and the frozen, snapped off bolt at the back of the cassette (see pics). I have partially drilled out the bolt and taken some layers of paint off, which has helped, but still only get 3 or 4 inches of play.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Yeah, the 2 bolts should be delrin. First time i tried to go into the shallows, the rudder went aground first. I raised the rudder by a dimple. Of course that raised the tiller,too, but it no longer wiped the food off the plates in people's laps.

Added: I replaced that black port with a white opening port, a Beckson, I believe. Also, I got tired of varnishing the motor mount, so I stripped it then slathered silicone sealant on it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK.

If the two (top and bottom) bolts are backed out flush, the rudder should be able to be pulled up and fully out, with some finesse and wiggling. Bottom paint on the rudder will for sure make that harder. Maybe even impossible.

In the first picture that 'bite' you see is caused by the roller in the socket being missing. Looks like a bolt in there, that is for sure wrong. That is supposed to hold the rudder in place and help it up and out. What ever was put there is eating at your rudder.

Dec 29, 2021
Beneteau Freedom 235 Windermere
The 235 rudder is held in place in its cassette by two delrin bolts. They tend to create dimples in the rudder where it sits, AND in any raised position it has been held in in the past. It is good practice to raise it when sailing in known shallow water; due to a Beneteau-USA designed wing keel, the rudder is deeper. You can see the bolts on the cassette here. They tend to seize if not used.

Hi, I’ve just bought a 235 here in the UK - can you please tell me if it’s common to lift up the rudder, or is it only in exceptional circumstances?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Hi, I’ve just bought a 235 here in the UK - can you please tell me if it’s common to lift up the rudder, or is it only in exceptional circumstances?
I have yet to need to lift my rudder. Some do it due to shallow water as it is deeper then the keel but, I have not had issues. Someone wil probably say to get a kick up rudder but, I have seen two people have theirs snap off at inopportune times.