Finish used in interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laume

Jan 28, 2009
2 Rasmus Ketch Oriental
I need to do some maintenance on the interior of my Rasmus. What finish was used by HR originally and what currently available products seem to best match the matte original finish? Thanks!!

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I don't know exactly which finish was used on your HR interior but I would venture to guess that they used a high grade varnish to finish the cabin.
I suggest you look at the Epiphanes and Interlux varnishes that are not rated as exterior varnishes and try some of them. Varnish will last a long time inside of a fairly dry boat whereas it does not hold up to sunlight and salt water.
I would also suggest you oil your repairs (after light sanding) and wipe with acetone before varnishing. The teak oil makes it look like $1M and the varnish seals in the look.

Laume

Jan 28, 2009
2 Rasmus Ketch Oriental
Thanks. Never would have thought about the teak oil but it is sure a good idea.

L

luftvapnet

Varnish interior

We did like this on our Rasmus:

1. Light sanding.
2. Varnish using "Le Tonkinois". Gives a glossy finish.
3. Varnish using "Gelomat" (it's also from Le Tonkinois factory). Gives satin finish.

Putting a satin/matte finish over glossy gives 'depth'. The Tonkinois varnish is very 'pore filling' and I think one layer is enough, followed by one layer of matte varnish. The first, glossy, layer we also put on the back of wood items which can be taken off (for instnance skylight frames and curtain rod skirtings) to reduce water getting into the wood.
You can see some pictures on www.syanna.se

Status
Not open for further replies.