Finish on Chart Table

Jul 18, 2013
Hunter 320 Cabrillo Islle Marina
On my Hunter 320, the chart table wood was damaged by a battery leaking on it so I sanded the top and have removed the discolorations. I thought it would need to be stained and varnished/polyurethaned. In the sanding process it appears to not have a stain on it, but just sealed. Can someone offer advice please on how I finish this wood. Thank you.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but ours is sealed with Teak oil. If it were my boat, I would seal it with same. Durable and easy to renew with another Teak oil application.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Any of the leading brands of Marine varnish work well. Total boat "Lust" is you want for a short recoat time. If you want a durable finish that you can apply in one day, go with a conversion varnish. Down side to this is it has to be sprayed.

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
What year of boat early on they Used Dalys SeaFin Teak Oil. I really liked was easy to maintain and do small touch ups

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As @finefurn has suggested Total Boat's varnish LUST has no only a short recoat time but an exceptional gloss and hard coat clear surface. I have used the Gleem 2.0 product on my deck hand rails and cockpit seats. 3 coats applied over a 4 hour period resulted in an excellent product.

Most recent image of my wood seats (with stain on the left and clear pine on the right) are in this picture from a recent fall sail with my sister.
1638147213213.jpeg

I would also suggest for your consideration the Halcyon on an interior table. I have used the product. It is easy to use and to clean up after appliction. The results were very satisfactory. The use inside the cabin has been a preferred application due to results and very low odor when applying.
  • What is the difference between Gleam varnish and Halcyon varnish?
    • Gleam is a traditional oil-based boat varnish available in gloss or satin finish. Halcyon is a water-based polyurethane varnish available in clear gloss, light amber gloss, and satin finish. Gleam provides the classic rich, warm amber appearance of European finishes, but improves upon them by eliminating sanding between coats and drying far faster.

This video of Andy's was helpful in my decision of product to use.

• Helpful