Finding the right LED replacement bulbs.

Apr 21, 2021
C&C 30 Harrison Township, MI
While looking to replace my spreader light with an LED bulb I ran into several problems. The existing fixture has a BA15D socket for a globe type incandescent bulb. The advertised LED replacement will not work because even though the base is correct, the "bulb" portion is cylindrical and longer than the original glass globe bulb, so it does not fit under the lens. That's when the fun began. I ultimately found 2 possible LEDs from a physical dimension standpoint, but neither gave enough information to tell if they were bright enough to meet USCG visibility requirements for a boat under 12 meters in length, which I am now confused if that's 2 or 3NM for a steaming light, and wondering how you can tell anyway.

Things like "really bright" are not much help, and most product specifications are just as bad. Many only say something like "equivalent to or replaces an X watt incandescent bulb." A few do mention lumens, but that didn't help all that much either. I ended up finding several incandescent bulbs that mentioned USCG visibility rating, and some other spec like its wattage, but usually not lumens. I started cross referencing various incandescent bulbs that mentioned their wattage and their lumens to get a rough watt to lumen chart, then found an LED that far exceeded what appeared to meet acceptable visibility in terms of lumens. I settled for an LED of 150 lumens (compared to 90 lumen incandescent bulbs that claimed to meet USCG requirements) and lots of user comments like "much brighter than the original" or "can be seen by everyone on the lake."

You would think marine products suppliers would be better at giving some useful specification, but not only did I find that's not the case, I found that many promoted products that I'm convinced are inadequate.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Apr 21, 2021
A bit confused over whether you need a spreader or a steaming light bulb. Different model boat here, but I've found Marine Beam LED light bulbs solved all of our lighting needs including those that must meet CG visibility requirements when we converted from incandescent. Try them here: LED Replacement Bulbs for Your Boat | Simple LED Conversions
Sorry, meant steaming light. Still a little fogged up trying to decipher and translate the hodge podge.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I recently had the exact same issue . The replacement incandescent bulb was listed as being in stock for $34.00 ! I searched for a direct LED
replacement . The base was the problem child. I ended up replacing the whole fixture with an led unit .
It was as good as time as any to rewire the mast ...and add a deck light..and a new connector ...and mating wiring through the deck back to the panel..

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
My problem has mainly centered around lack of robustness of replacement LED lamps.

Twice now I have bought LED replacement bulbs from a trusted supplier for use in my bow nav light and twice they have failed after only a few hours of use, blowing fuses and burning out if tested without a fuse. I have resorted to using an LED bulb of lower output, rotating it slightly in the socket to get the LEDs to align with the red and green lenses.

Lumens ratings are all over the map, and without an independent lab test should be taken with a large grain of salt. I tend to trust what my eyes tell me.

If you can get past the bulb/socket compatibility issue, I would suggest doing a side-by-side comparison in a controlled situation with a known-to-be acceptable bulb. This would entail buying a few sockets, but should not be that hard to do in practice.

Apr 21, 2021
You are required by law to have Nav Lights that meet COLREGS. The only way to be sure of this is to buy an ABYC A-16/ USCG compliant new LED fixture.
Easier said than done. Some new fixtures say they are certified, but replacement bulbs seem to be another matter. I even decided at one point forget LED and get a conventional bulb. I can find bulbs that meet the physical profile and base/socket of the original, but determining brightness is another matter entirely. Even the few that give indirect information, none give a clue of whether the meet COLREGS even if used in a fixture that once did. I guess replacing the fixture every time a bulb or LED burns out is an option, but I suspect damn few do that.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
"Easier said than done. Some new fixtures say they are certified, but replacement bulbs seem to be another matter"
His statement seems straight forward to me since most fixtures are sold with the bulb that has been certified with that fixture. If you were to go to that bulb manufacturer and look at the listed specs you would not find that it would say 'meets' COLREGS or that it will fit in any specific model or manufacturers fixture even though it obviously did when the fixture was certified. Just for clarification I have what I call a bow light on my boat when I might ask one of my passengers to check to see if it's on. But actually it is a red and green navigation light with a single bulb at the bow that is on the same circuit that feeds the white light on my stern. The LED NAV light exceeds the brightness of the original incandescent bulb when that was replaced and verified by inspection.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Twice now I have bought LED replacement bulbs from a trusted supplier for use in my bow nav light and twice they have failed after only a few hours of use, blowing fuses and burning out if tested without a fuse.
It has been seven or eight years ago that I replaced all of our inside and outside incandescent bulbs with Marine Beam LED bulbs. Have not had an issue with one of them. A quality product.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
It has been seven or eight years ago that I replaced all of our inside and outside incandescent bulbs with Marine Beam LED bulbs. Have not had an issue with one of them. A quality product.
Duly noted. Thanks!